Form 9465- time frame for paying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 9465- time frame for paying

I had the notion - origins forgotten - that payments under IA had to be made within 5 yrs for approval. The form instructions, and pub 17, reference a 3 yr time frame. Anyone able to enlighten/clarify?

I have dealt with IRS on this many times...it is up to five years depending on how large the debt and how much the payment is.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

They generally automatically approve any payment request when the balance is $20K or less and the time period is 5yr or less. Anything over that required more detailed hoop-jumping. However, that's a general rule and they are not required to follow it. They may modify it to more severe restrictions or less, depending upon the taxpayer's prior history, etc. SImple situaiton can even be handled on-line without speaking to anyone at IRS or sending in the 9465.

Last year, I was involved in a couple of situations where the taxpayer reaquested a payment which would exceed the 5-year threshhold and it was granted on the phone. In each situation the collections agent acknowledged that they had been granted exceptional leeway when in their judgement it was warranted, primarily because of the direction the economy was headed.

Last edited by JohnH; 01-26-2010, 10:20 AM.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
      X