e-service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e-service

Is there anyone familiar with using the e-service?

I have registered with the e-service online. And I have received the confirmation code by mail. I have also entered the confirmation code and received the message that the registration process has been completed. But it seems to me at this time I can only use the e-service to apply to use the TIN matching, apply for PTIN and apply for e-file. Nothing else.

I have heard we can use the e-service to check the amount of estimated tax paid by our clients, their W-2 information and past tax records, etc. What do I need to do in order to be able to use those functions?

Thank you.

E-Service

Good Luck...your screen name say's it all
    Confucius say:
    He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Yes, you can get income and payment information from eservices but not for the current year until well into summer.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
        Yes, you can get income and payment information from eservices but not for the current year until well into summer.
        It's ok to wait for the 2009 information until summer.

But can we assess the prior year tax information now, such as year 2008? It seems there is no way for me to do it.

Comment

Do you efile returns already? If you don't efile some minimal number of returns 10 or 15 you are limited to the more basic functions of the program. You may need to add your firm name so you can log in under the firm name. When I go in I have the choice of a personal login or a firm login. If I choose the personal one I have only the set of basic functions you described. Under the firm name I have everything.
          In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
          Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

You can, however, if you just recently signed up for it you will not have access to it *just yet*. I believe after you have e-Filed a certain number of returns (kinda like meeting a quota) it will then display the option for transcripts, POA, etc.

~maria
            Maria R., CRTP
            Los Angeles, CA
            Software Used: ProSeries since 2008

Comment

e-services

Thanks for the question and the information. Even though I have efiled for years I never used any of the e-services listed. I signed up and got my passwords just like "never easy" but couldn't see all the neat stuff the rest of the board did. I signed in under my personal name rather than business name. Next time I'll select the business name button and see what is under that.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
                Do you efile returns already? If you don't efile some minimal number of returns 10 or 15 you are limited to the more basic functions of the program. You may need to add your firm name so you can log in under the firm name. When I go in I have the choice of a personal login or a firm login. If I choose the personal one I have only the set of basic functions you described. Under the firm name I have everything.
                Today when I was signing in, they did ask if I represent my company (which does e-file more than 15 returns per year). I chose the option that I represent my company. Then after I signed in, they note that I am representing my company under my name. But I am still only getting a limited number of services.

On the right side of the screen under 'Services', I only have 'Application' and 'Registration Services'. What other options do you have in addition to those two?

Thanks.

Comment

e-Help

I think you have to have e-filed 5 returns to have the additional services, or be an EA. The e-Help desk has always been extremely helpful to me: 866-255-0654

Comment

This is what my screen looks like.

Application
                    Access to apply or revise an existing application on-line for participation in IRS e-file Program, Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) Matching.

Disclosure Authorization
                    Allows create, update, and delete of disclosure authorizations via any of two forms:
                    Use Form 2848 Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative to authorize one or more individuals to represent one or two taxpayers before the IRS.
                    Use Form 8821 Tax Information Authorization to authorize one or more individuals or one organization to receive and inspect the taxpayer confidential tax information.

Electronic Account Resolution
                    Allows authorized and authenticated practitioners the capability to submit inquiries regarding issues related to individual or business taxpayer accounts. There are five common inquiries: Account Problems Inquiry, Complex Refund Inquiry, Notice Inquiry, Installment Agreement Inquiry, and Payment Tracer Inquiry. In addition, Follow-up Inquiry allows practitioners to submit additional information on a previously submitted inquiry, and Multiple Inquiries allow practitioners to submit at least two of the five common inquiries for the same taxpayer.

Remove Affiliation
                    Provides access to the Firm Disassociation page that will allow you to remove your affiliation to the e-file firm or organization you selected. Disassociating yourself from the e-file application will remove your name from each of the e-file applications shown and will eliminate all authority that resulted from your affiliation.

Transcript Delivery System
                    Transcript Delivery System (TDS) provides self-service for return and account information requests by external customers through e-services portal. TDS automates the validation, processing, and delivery of taxpayer information to the authorized third party user, thus requiring less intervention from IRS personnel.

Registration Services
                    Registration Services allows you to confirm your registration, revise your registration information, change your password or PIN and recover a lost password or PIN.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Should have done this before

I signed in under my business name account and I got all the options DaveO listed. I went in to see if I could get a transcript but looks like I need a unique classification number first (probably thru the 8821 form mentioned). I wish I would have spent some time going through the tutorials before the season began. Now it looks like I have some late night studying to do. Again thanks for this message string that pointed out the advantages of using these e-services.

Comment

We we one of the first offices to use eservices in this area. We have a pretty close relationship with the local liason people and they pushed us to try it. It was a royal pita in the beginning but is much improved now. I helped by teaching a segment of a IRS tele-conference/PowerPoint they put togehter. The big problem for the IRS people is that they are not allowed to use it so they can't help you through it.
                        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Poa

You definitely need a POA to get info re a client, just as if you were doing it the old way by mail or whatever. You can prepare the POA in e-services, though, if you have the client's signature for your records. If you put in all your information, including your CAF, then in the future when you choose your CAF, your information will populate and save some typing. It's not the most intuitive. You click ADD instead of SAVE and before going to NEXT. The tutorials are a help. The e-Help Desk is helpful. I had many false starts, but overall it's a huge time saver.

Comment

POA for a transcript

It's my first time requesting a transcript for a client through e-Services. He never filed in 2008 and wants me to get a record of what the IRS has in their records.

Once the client signs the POA what do I do with it if I want to access his 2008 transcript through e-Services? Mail it to the IRS? Fax it?

Comment

Enter it into e-Services

Enter the POA into e-Services. Then you can access an immediate transcript. Fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X