No announcement yet.

College Aid wants tax return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I learned from the aid office is that...yes, the app can show estimate figures however, the current filed tax return must be attached to the app.

I didn't say this made any sense I just said it is an unacceptable requirement on the part of the aid offices.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

If they're doing FAFSA that very well might be what they think.

OTOH, I also have taxpayers that think unemployment is tax exempt this year. All of it.

Comment

I had a time last year with a client's partner and the fin. aid app. He needed the Schedule E's for his accountant to file his return. But my client was dragging his feet on getting the information to me. Long story short I told partner to talk to the fin aid office and do estimated entries. He did not want to do that. I told him to talk to his partner and get the information into me sooner and not in pieces and I will have it ready for him.

So come to this year... No information yet.

When I went to college in the 90s... the app only had to be done once a year in May. I think they do it every semester now.

Comment

Not in Pub 17

Originally posted by taxea View Post
          What I learned from the aid office is that...yes, the app can show estimate figures however, the current filed tax return must be attached to the app.

I didn't say this made any sense I just said it is an unacceptable requirement on the part of the aid offices.
          If all else fails, google it.

See: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/before003.htm

Tax returns are not attached to FAFSA applications.

See the bold at the bottom of the webpage: "Keep these records! You may need them again. Do not mail your records to Federal Student Aid."

So FAFSA does not require a completed tax return, but perhaps the SCHOOL does? In any event, it sounds like some sort of misunderstanding.
          Last edited by BHoffman; 01-24-2010, 12:47 PM. Reason: blind leading blind.

Comment

I never said anything about this being a FAFSA and they are not the only ones who provide aid. I just wondered how others faced with this situation handle/or would handle it
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X