spouse employed by spouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spouse employed by spouse

Employed spouse is exempt from FUTA. When you put the exemption on the form, do you write "spouse" to explain. If employer spouse is a single member LLC, is the working spouse still exempt? I employer spouse is taxed as an s corp, is worker spouse still exempt? Can FUTA be amended back to 2008?

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
    Employed spouse is exempt from FUTA. When you put the exemption on the form, do you write "spouse" to explain. If employer spouse is a single member LLC, is the working spouse still exempt? I employer spouse is taxed as an s corp, is worker spouse still exempt? Can FUTA be amended back to 2008?
    1. If employer is a proprietor, or a single member LLC filing in default status as a
    proprietor, then spouse is exempt from FUTA (and probably SUTA as well). My explanation
    is "spousal wages" to describe the exemption.

2. If employer is a corporation (S or C; doesn't matter), or and LLC taxed as a corporation,
    then spousal wages are not exempt.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Thanks, I did not catch til this year. Will I be able to amend the 2008 940? I did 08, but another preparer did the other past years. Is there a three year period on these forms, also?

Comment

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
        Thanks, I did not catch til this year. Will I be able to amend the 2008 940? I did 08, but another preparer did the other past years. Is there a three year period on these forms, also?
        I don't know about any three year rule on 940's, but assume there would be.

But think about it, what will you charge? More than the $56 it might save?
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
        X