1031 Exchange for Non Profit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1031 Exchange for Non Profit

I have a non profit client who wants to do a 1031 exchange of their current building and buy a another one. I can find nothing that says a Non profit can enter into a 1031 exchange nor can I find anything that says they cannot ! Your assistance would be much appreciated.

Duane E. Anderson, CPA

Originally posted by Duane Anderson View Post
    I have a non profit client who wants to do a 1031 exchange of their current building and buy a another one. I can find nothing that says a Non profit can enter into a 1031 exchange nor can I find anything that says they cannot ! Your assistance would be much appreciated.

Duane E. Anderson, CPA
    I'm not aware of any reason why they cannot do it. They should talk with the facilitator of 1031 exchanges, I would think they would know for certain. They are going to want to use a facilitator anyway.
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Duane Anderson View Post

Duane E. Anderson, CPA
      Assuming the transaction makes sense from an economic perspective I do not understand why a qualified non profit entity would be interested in meeting the requirements of Sec 1031 for a tax deferred exchange...... What's the reasoning here?

Comment

If all activities are

not for profit and there is no mortgage why whould a 1031 even make a difference. the only taxable situation I think would be if you have unrelated taxable income. If your already tax free you have to do something to become taxable-do you not.

Comment

Working...
        X