Verifying Social Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verifying Social Security

My software tells me what state a social card was issued in. Is there a way we can determine if the address the customer is giving us matches social security records such as a web site, etc .

Years ago, i was able to tell what state the social security number was issued from and what age group a person was. can't do it anymore, don't see enough of them.but i don't understand why do you need to verify current address?

Comment

SSA doesn't keep address information unless the person is drawing benefits or has had
      other dealings with the agency.

Just think what a big brother it would be if it did.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

The numbers of the Social Security Number, have some codes. Those codes tell you what state the SS # was issued in, and the period of time. My program, will give me this information, it is fun to know where they people came from. It's main reason is to catch fraud, if someone that looks about 20, comes in with a card # that says he should be over 65. OPPS! You have a clue.

Comment

SSN sleuths

Originally posted by Piglee View Post
          The numbers of the Social Security Number, have some codes. Those codes tell you what state the SS # was issued in, and the period of time. My program, will give me this information, it is fun to know where they people came from. It's main reason is to catch fraud, if someone that looks about 20, comes in with a card # that says he should be over 65. OPPS! You have a clue.
          Are you sure this is a current program? If so, where did you obtain it??

For many years, you could make some good guesses ("0" for New England, "9" for Left Coast) where a person was from. Sometimes with a new client it was a nice ice breaker for some small talk.

But it is my understanding that new SS numbers now just roll out of the computer without any relevance to where/when. They may even be "re-using" some very very old numbers also?

Of course, I could be quite wrong!

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
            Are you sure this is a current program? If so, where did you obtain it??

For many years, you could make some good guesses ("0" for New England, "9" for Left Coast) where a person was from. Sometimes with a new client it was a nice ice breaker for some small talk.

But it is my understanding that new SS numbers now just roll out of the computer without any relevance to where/when. They may even be "re-using" some very very old numbers also?

Of course, I could be quite wrong!

FE
            While SSA may have changed the numbering system these days, numbers issued
            previously still give us the information and therefore still valid for the "older' folks.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
            X