e-file with only pay stub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"And if the employer doesn't? What does the employee do?"

I think it was last year that the IRS came out with instructions that require the TP to fill out a form (don't know the # off the top of my head) to report the employer. If this is done the subtitute W2 can be used with an explanation of attempts to contact employer.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
      "And if the employer doesn't? What does the employee do?"

I think it was last year that the IRS came out with instructions that require the TP to fill out a form (don't know the # off the top of my head) to report the employer. If this is done the subtitute W2 can be used with an explanation of attempts to contact employer.
      I think you're referring to the 8919, which is used for employees improperly classified as independent contractors. (Was new for TY 2007.)

You wouldn't use a substitute W-2 for this, as you're still responsible for the 1/2 SS and Medicate taxes. If you had taxes properly withheld and just lost/misplaced the W-2 you try to get it replaced and if that fails follow the instructions provided in this thread. No new forms or procedures on that.
      Last edited by David1980; 01-20-2010, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
        I have a client that called and wants me to do his taxes from his last pay stub. I told him that we really need to wait for the W-2. He says he's moving and needs his money now.

I told him I would look into it. I was thinking that we can't efile before we have the W-2 in our hands. We can prepare but not file before. Am I correct? I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

I also told him if I did do it and his W-2 is different it will cost him for me to do an amended return.

Thanks.

Linda F.
        I get this all the time, but if their company uses ADP, Talx or CIC plus, I can download their W-2 into the software and file the return. We have been able to do that for the Wal Mart workers since the 8th. If I can't download it, I will complete most of the return and have the client come back when they get their W-2.
        If I'm wrong, please correct me, because I don't have the tax knowledge y'all have. Cheers!

admin@badfloridadrivers.com

Comment

substitute W2

when i worked for HRB we used substitute W2s and that was more than 25 years ago, nothing new.

Comment

Working...
          X