Conversion of Rental to 2nd Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conversion of Rental to 2nd Home

Client converted rental to second home on 12/31/2008. Used as 2nd home during all of 2009. He has accumulated prior unused decpreciation credits carried forward to 2009. I assume the carried forward depreciation can be claimed for 2009, and subsequent years, eventhough no depreciation was earned in 2009, nor will be earned beyond 2009. All comments appreciated.

Originally posted by RayT View Post
    Client converted rental to second home on 12/31/2008. Used as 2nd home during all of 2009. He has accumulated prior unused decpreciation credits carried forward to 2009. I assume the carried forward depreciation can be claimed for 2009, and subsequent years, eventhough no depreciation was earned in 2009, nor will be earned beyond 2009. All comments appreciated.
    Unused depreciation is not depreciation. It stays in basis.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Unused Depreciation

If a rental up to 12/31/08 how can we have unused depreciation.

Are you referring to passive loss carryovers?

Depreciation would have "stopped/ceased" at the conversion date of 12/31/08

Sandy

Comment

Follow Up

Yes, I'm referring to passive loss carry overs, which is primarily depreciation.

Comment

See if this helps

Originally posted by RayT View Post
          Yes, I'm referring to passive loss carry overs, which is primarily depreciation.
          From TTB 7-10

Former passive activities

. A former passive activity is an activity
          that was a passive activity in a previous year but is not a passive
          activity in the current year. A prior year unallowed loss may be
          deducted up to the amount of the taxpayer’s current year net income
          from the activity. Any remaining prior year loss is treated
          like any other passive loss.

Comment

Working...
          X