S-corp distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S-corp distribution

Can a S-corp shareholder takes the 2009 dividend in 2010?

Shareholder has to wait until the 2009 Form 1120-S filed in order to know the exact amount of the dividend.

2009 Form 1120-S is filed in 2010.

So the taxpayer has to wait until 2010 to take his 2009 dividend. Any problem?

Originally posted by NotEasy View Post
    Can a S-corp shareholder takes the 2009 dividend in 2010?

Shareholder has to wait until the 2009 Form 1120-S filed in order to know the exact amount of the dividend.

2009 Form 1120-S is filed in 2010.

So the taxpayer has to wait until 2010 to take his 2009 dividend. Any problem?
    Scorps are not treated like CCorps when it comes to dividends. It doesn't matter when dividend are taken. Shareholders are taxed on profits only, dividends withdrawn or not.
    Last edited by BOB W; 01-13-2010, 11:07 PM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
      Scorps are not treated like CCorps when it comes to dividens. It doesn't matter when dividend are taken. Shareholders are taxed on profits only, dividens withdrawn or not.
      And that is why I eschew even the use of the word "dividend" in an S corp setting.
      The word ist verboten.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
        And that is why I eschew even the use of the word "dividend" in an S corp setting.
        The word ist verboten.
        I use the phrase> Net Profit Distributions> because that is really what it is. Although there
        are situations when an S Corp can issue a Dividend. But that is not part of the question.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

If you want to stick with just answering the question, then the answer is NO.

Comment

Working...
          X