Military Spouse Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military Spouse Issue

In a past post someone asked about spousal taxation by states for military personel. NYS came out with its law relating to this issue.

1/11/10

This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
    In a past post someone asked about spousal taxation by states for military personel. NYS came out with its law relating to this issue.

1/11/10

http://www.tax.state.ny.us/pdf/memos..._1i_1mctmt.pdf
    And Virginia also responded promptly, coming up with a special form for a military spouse
    to file instead of a tax return to claim the withholding in 2009.

But still uncertain I think is though the federal law exempts spouses of military from
    taxability in that non resident state, it doesn't seem to exempt military member himself
    from taxability on a part time job! Huh??

But in case of a couple who are both serving at same post (say Fort Drum in NY),
    concurrently and both having part time jobs, I suppose each would qualify under new
    federal law since each is spouse of a military member!

Got to hand it to those congresspeople who think everything through before legislating.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Confusion

Trying to avoid NY returns ($$ fee) let me see if I've got this correct:

Joe Soldier works part-time at a hamburger joint while stationed in NY. That income is subject to NY non-resident income tax.

His non-military wife also works at the same hamburger joint. That income is NOT subject to NY non-resident income tax.

Bob Soldier and his wife Betty Soldier are both stationed in NY and both work part-time at the same hamburger joint as does Joe Soldier. Neither Bob nor Betty is subject to NY non-resident income tax on the 'burger income??

Who comes up with these rules??

FE

Comment

Same for Oregon

Nonresidents stationed in Oregon

Oregon doesn’t tax your military pay if you’re a
        nonresident stationed in Oregon. If you’re married
        and your spouse is a nonresident who only came to
        Oregon to be with you while you are stationed here,
        then Oregon doesn’t tax your spouse’s income from
        services performed in Oregon. It is not considered
        Oregon-source income.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post

Joe Soldier works part-time at a hamburger joint while stationed in NY. That income is subject to NY non-resident income tax.

His non-military wife also works at the same hamburger joint. That income is NOT subject to NY non-resident income tax.

Bob Soldier and his wife Betty Soldier are both stationed in NY and both work part-time at the same hamburger joint as does Joe Soldier. Neither Bob nor Betty is subject to NY non-resident income tax on the 'burger income??

FE
          Good recap.......................But it looks like this is more than a NYS issue.
          Last edited by BOB W; 01-12-2010, 10:31 AM.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Let's have a friendly argument about this.

emphasis added

FE
            PL 111-97 [The Military Spouses Residency Relief Act] specifically states . . .
            "(c) Income for services performed
            by the spouse of a servicemember shall not be deemed
            to be income for services performed or from sources within a tax
            jurisdiction of the United States if the spouse is not a resident
            or domiciliary of the jurisdiction in which the income is earned
            because the spouse is in the jurisdiction solely to be with the
            servicemember serving in compliance with military orders.’’
            http://www.coherentbabble.com/PublicLaws/PL111-97.pdf

Therefore, if Bob & Betty Soldier have both received orders to NYS [or any taxing jurisdiction] their non-military pay earned at that location is subject to state/city taxation because neither spouse traveled there solely to accompany [a] military member. Each person traveled to that locale because they each received orders sending them there.

The amount of income may be insignificant ["burger income"] or may be significant [think of two married doctors working part time in a downtown clinic].
            Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Comment

Pick a position - ANY position

Originally posted by travis bickle View Post
              PL 111-97 [The Military Spouses Residency Relief Act] specifically states . . .
              "(c) Income for services performed by the spouse of a servicemember shall not be deemed to be income for services performed or from sources within a tax jurisdiction of the United States if the spouse is not a resident or domiciliary of the jurisdiction in which the income is earned because the spouse is in the jurisdiction solely to be with the
              servicemember serving in compliance with military orders.’’
              http://www.coherentbabble.com/PublicLaws/PL111-97.pdf

Therefore, if Bob & Betty Soldier have both received orders to NYS [or any taxing jurisdiction] their non-military pay earned at that location is subject to state/city taxation because neither spouse traveled there solely to accompany [a] military member. Each person traveled to that locale because they each received orders sending them there.

The amount of income may be insignificant ["burger income"] or may be significant [think of two married doctors working part time in a downtown clinic].
              ...unless you take the approach as explained by ChEAr$ earlier:

"But in case of a couple who are both serving at same post (say Fort Drum in NY),
              concurrently and both having part time jobs, I suppose each would qualify under new
              federal law since each is spouse of a military member!"

Of course, I'm curious to see how the respective states are going to handle sending out the non-payment / non-filing notices to all those spouses who received a W2 from the burger joint work and yet did not "report" the income.

FE

Comment

Seems to be no issue

...unless you take the approach as explained by ChEAr$ earlier:

"But in case of a couple who are both serving at same post (say Fort Drum in NY),
                federal law since each is spouse of a military member!"

Of course, I'm curious to see how the respective states are going to handle sending out the non-payment / non-filing notices to all those spouses who received a W2 from the burger joint work and yet did not "report" the income.

FE
                the law clearly states that it pertains in cases where/when the spouse travels to the new locale ". . .solely to be with the servicemember . . ." [emphasis added].

When a married couple, both of whom are in the military, travel to a new locale because they are both in receipt of military orders, they have not traveled "solely to be with the servicemember". Instead, they traveled because they each had valid orders obligating them to do so. And the situation described in PL111-97 does not pertain.

How the states are to track and reconcile these sitations are other [absurd] questions..
                Just because I look dumb does not mean I am not.

Comment

Nature of the question

Originally posted by travis bickle View Post
                  the law clearly states that it pertains in cases where/when the spouse travels to the new locale ". . .solely to be with the servicemember . . ." [emphasis added].

When a married couple, both of whom are in the military, travel to a new locale because they are both in receipt of military orders, they have not traveled "solely to be with the servicemember". Instead, they traveled because they each had valid orders obligating them to do so. And the situation described in PL111-97 does not pertain.

How the states are to track and reconcile these sitations are other [absurd] questions..

One person's "absurd" question can well be another person's "relevant" question.

For my 2¢ worth, I think it IS quite likely that a "legitimate" military spouse could see state withholding appear on a Form W2 that would not otherwise require the filing of the relevant state's income tax return. But, perhaps such an "absurd" event would never occur....

Have a good day, nevertheless.

FE

Comment

One person's "absurd" question can well be another person's "relevant" question.

For my 2¢ worth, I think it IS quite likely that a "legitimate" military spouse could see state withholding appear on a Form W2 that would not otherwise require the filing of the relevant state's income tax return. But, perhaps such an "absurd" event would never occur....

Have a good day, nevertheless.

FE
                    NYS has 3 ways of solving withholding issues for the non-military spouse working in NYS while military spouse is stationed in NYS. They have an Exempt form to give to the employer that allows no state withholding. Second, the IT-203 has a check box saying they are just filing to get a refund of any withholding. Third, NYS allows employers to give back any withholding by 3/31/10 for any withholding prior to the new law.
                    Last edited by BOB W; 01-12-2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

FE
                      Just guessing at this point, but since Bob and Betty are in the military they would be subject to NYS Income Tax on non-military income. Spousal Issue seems to not apply. The Military may have taken into consideration that they are married and stationed them together but I don't think NYS cares and will tax them on non-military work.

Comment

I can now agree with travis re the language describing a military spouse traveling to that
                        state SOLELy to be with spouse.
                        ChEAr$,
                        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                        X