Dentistry Residency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dentistry Residency

Hello all. Long time listener, haven't called in a while...I appreciate all who contribute to this board.

My client's wife graduated Dentistry School a few years ago and worked for a general practice firm for a couple of years. She recently has decided to enter a residency program in NY, we're in TX, for 2 years to learn Pediatric Dentistry.

My client wants to know if her living expenses while in NY are deductible since she will be renting a home there, meals away from home, etc.

My thought is that although she will incur expenses while working within the same profession, this will not be considered a temporary job assignment because a: It will last beyond 1 year and in fact 2 years and b: if she has entered a residency to "learn" this trade, it is not a trade that is the same profession she currently holds.

I am conflicted because she is already a DDS that has worked in a practice but she has never been a Pediatric Dentist and never has entered a residency program.

Will the IRS treat her like all medical residents and not allow any living expenses while in the program?

I don't have much experience with medical professionals; obviously. Thanks all.
    Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

see my post

about nurse.

Comment

One year is

a major time line. At the time an assignment is reasonably expected to last more than one year it is no longer a temporary location and that becomes the "tax home" of the taxpayer. Since going in she expects to be there more than one year this is a relocation for work purposes, not a temporary job location.
      AJ, EA

Comment

Working...
      X