2010 Roth Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 Roth Conversion

I have a client that is converting from a traditional IRA to a Roth this year - She invested 80,000 into a a traditional IRA set up through a stock broker now when she is closing it and converting it to a Roth IRA there is only 60,000.
    Is the 80,000 taxed and then the loss taken on schedule C? Or is the 60,000 taxed and nothing done with the loss?

I searched but cannot find a clear answer.

Thank you for any input.

Originally posted by abp View Post
    I have a client that is converting from a traditional IRA to a Roth this year - She invested 80,000 into a a traditional IRA set up through a stock broker now when she is closing it and converting it to a Roth IRA there is only 60,000.
    Is the 80,000 taxed and then the loss taken on schedule C? Or is the 60,000 taxed and nothing done with the loss?

I searched but cannot find a clear answer.

Thank you for any input.
    She pays taxes on the $60,000 over 2 years. The $20,000 loss is only deductible if she has "Basis" in the IRA, like non deductible contributions. But, she must have basis to take a Schedule A misc subject to 2%.

Here is a Google search: http://taxes.about.com/od/retirement...t/IRA_loss.htm
    Last edited by BOB W; 01-06-2010, 02:29 PM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Thank you - now that I think it through it makes sense - it was not included in income so in effect you have already taken the loss when reporting only 60000.

Comment

Working...
      X