Energy credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy credit

Client calls to tell me they have put a metal roof on their deck, does this qualify for the energy credit? Do we get our verification from the manufacturer of the metal? Would a deck roof qualify even if the metal did? It is a part of the home, though. Any ideas or sources of information?

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
    Client calls to tell me they have put a metal roof on their deck, does this qualify for the energy credit? Do we get our verification from the manufacturer of the metal? Would a deck roof qualify even if the metal did? It is a part of the home, though. Any ideas or sources of information?
    Isn't the deck open to the elements? If it were closed, I wouldn't be a "deck" methinks.

Anyways, purpose of energy credit is to reward saving energy, and a metal roof on an
    open deck just doesn't cut it.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Say what?

Thanks, ChEAr$.

For a moment there I thought my bifocals were acting up and/or I was having a delayed reaction to some New Year's outings.

Energy conservation on a deck???

FE
      Last edited by FEDUKE404; 01-05-2010, 03:26 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

As I thought, but if the metal qualifies and it is attached to the house. It " is installed on or in connection with a U.S. dwelling unit that is owned and used by the taxpayer as his principal residence. " (as quoted from a tax seminar book) But I would think that the qualifying metal would be quite a bit more expensive, and who would put that on their deck? Anyway, does the retailer give the certification on the metal roofing (if it was on the regular part of the house?)

Comment

Directly from the form: Metal or asphalt roof with appropriate pigmented coatings or cooling granules that meet the Energy Star program requirements and is specifically and primarily designed to reduce heat gain in your home.

A deck is not a home, it is an appendage.
          Last edited by tilt53; 01-05-2010, 05:17 PM.
          Sandy >^..^<

Comment

Directly from the form: Metal or asphalt roof with appropriate pigmented coatings or cooling granules that meet the Energy Star program requirements and is specifically and primarily designed to reduce heat gain in your home.
            That's from the DRAFT version of the form. Neither the final version nor the instructions have been released as yet.

[I agree that a coated roof on an open deck would not have a significant effect on the reduction of the heat gain in(side) your home. Its primary purpose would probably be to make you more comfortable in the summer when you were sitting outside on the deck.]

Comment

Working...
            X