FREE TurboTax federal tax software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FREE TurboTax federal tax software

I have seen advertisements on TV for FREE TurboTax federal tax software.

Dollar Store

My local dollar general store is selling TT for $5! I would have to see if that includes state. I have not seen the tv advertisements.

Comment

My GUESS is that there is a charge for the TurboTax STATE tax software but I am
      not sure. Will they charge extra for electronic filing?
      Last edited by dyne; 01-05-2010, 10:37 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Are you sure it was Turbo Tax? I've seen the TV ad for TaxAct which is free and includes free e-file. (But not state I would assume.)

Comment

Their web site, has a 'start for free' button. The operative word is 'Start'

The small lprint is 'Pay when you're satisfied.'!

Comment

The TV ad which I saw was for TurboTax! I saw it again last night.

Comment

Dollar Store

I checked the dollar store and the $5 TT was for 1040EZ and state.

Comment

You get what you pay for!

Originally posted by dkss View Post
                I checked the dollar store and the $5 TT was for 1040EZ and state.
                Just remember that you get what you pay for.

The trouble is that some of those that will buy it will try to enter their 1040 stuff on it! They don't know the difference between EZ, A, and the 1040!

And they will get it wrong.

I still say that the IRS could help the national debt considerably by auditing those that are "self prepared" using TT or some other software.

You wouldn't believe the garbage I see from returns that taxpayers bring in with a CP2000 or audit notice.

I have some clients that use TT and/or QB and bring me their information to "just enter on the proper lines on the return". Reviewing the information I have a field-day pointing out their mistakes.
                Jiggers, EA

Comment

The free software is sort of like the camel getting it's nose in the door. It only covers the barest minimum return. Then you discover (hopefully you do) that you must pay to get what you need. The way it is advertised though, imo is false and misleading.

LT
                  Last edited by thomtax; 01-06-2010, 10:41 AM. Reason: correct spelling
                  Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

I Agree With Jiggers 100%

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
                    Just remember that you get what you pay for.

The trouble is that some of those that will buy it will try to enter their 1040 stuff on it! They don't know the difference between EZ, A, and the 1040!

And they will get it wrong.

I still say that the IRS could help the national debt considerably by auditing those that are "self prepared" using TT or some other software.

You wouldn't believe the garbage I see from returns that taxpayers bring in with a CP2000 or audit notice.

I have some clients that use TT and/or QB and bring me their information to "just enter on the proper lines on the return". Reviewing the information I have a field-day pointing out their mistakes.
                    The IRS could have a field day auditing "self preparers". I talked to a couple tax preparers over the years and pointed out items they missed and/or are questionable deductions but they could care less. Most of the self preparers I talk to feel they are immune to the IRS and I also agree with Jigger this would help reduce the federal debt.

Comment

A TV commercial last night referenced: www.getTurboTaxfree.com
                      The web site says that 1040EZ and simple returns are free but an ADDITIONAL
                      charge is made for STATES.
                      Last edited by dyne; 01-08-2010, 10:05 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Working...
                      X