I Finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Finally

registered for E Services just now. It was an impulsive decision and I'm really not sure why I decided to do it. I have always gotten what I needed by calling the PPL and if something had to be sent to me it could be faxed or even mailed. One reason why I didn't register for E Services before now is that there exists a product called Tax Scripts that supposedly makes E Services easier to use and I figured that it couldn't sell if E Services was reasonably easy to use. I forget the cost of Tax Scripts but it was more than I was willing to pay at the time. Now I think more in terms of it costs me the say the revenue of a low end to mid priced return so if it cuts significant time off something I do several times a month then the expenditure makes sense.

So I'd like to hear from people who think E Services works reasonably well by itself, people who think Tax Scripts is worthwhile, and people who prefer another program to Tax Scripts for working with E Services. And finally if there is anyone on the board who thinks E Services is not useful I'd like to hear from you as well. Registering for E Services cost me nothing and if I don't want to use it I don't have to but hey if it is a good time saving tool then I want to use it.
    Last edited by erchess; 01-02-2010, 05:05 PM.

I like e-Services

I like e-Services. Haven't had to use it often. But, when I needed a prior return to amend (client prepared online and didn't print a copy!) or a copy of the W-2 my son never received (he never gave his employer his address) or to see why the IRS wanted more money for a couple of years back from another client (IRS sent client a greater than expected refund he forgot; also forgot he was in a family partnership that had income!) the information was available immediately for me to read and print. Fast to turn in POAs; it'll fill in my info. For instance, the client who forgot about his FLLP: talking to the IRS, they said they didn't get ES payments from the FLLP; we sent copies of cancelled checks; much back and forth correspondence and hold time on the telephone. I had client sign POA and entered it on line and immediately saw that IRS received ES payments but then sent client a check since he hadn't reported the FLLP income at that time. Fast and YOU get to analyze the data and not just take the word of some low level IRS employee re the problem. Try it; you'll like it.

Comment

E Services

E Services has been a very large "assistant" to me

I like the fact I can file in the POA immediately, access transcripts for ES payments, wage/income reporting to verify I have all info for the tax return. Another great feature has been the "email" for correction on an account or in response to a notice. Usually a 2-3 day turnaround instead of 30 to 60 day turnaround.

Sandy

Comment

I agree with everything Sandy and Lion have said. It is an unbelieveable time saver. And the practitioners' line is already a 45 min wait. I expect it will only get worse during the tax season.
        You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

As one who was among 13 tax pros back in the late nineties who helped test out the
          program and work the kinks out of it, I whole heartedly endorse it. Plus I know the guy who wrote Tax Scripts and eventually sold it to CCH.

My real problem is remembering to change my password every so often, six months, I think.

Now I didn't buy Tax Scripts simply because I don't use eServices except on rare
          occasion. But then I have perfect clients! (grin
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Reactions

First thank you to all who posted - and to the group, keep posts coming!

The idea of changing my password ever is almost a deal breaker for me. Does anyone know if it is possible to game the system by re entering the same password as though it were new or by simply switching between two passwords back and forth as requested?

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to find out through E Services what my PTIN is and if not tell me what I should do to recover it? Note that I need an existing one not a new one unless it's just more convenient for the Service to give me a new one than find my old one.

Comment

Here's a suggestion I found very useful about passwords which have to be changed. Select a basic password and append two digits to it. The two digits would be the next month in which it needs to be changed. Then whenever you need to change the password, just change the last two digits to the next month in which it needs to be changed. This way, each time you use your password you are being reminded that you need to change it.

For example, if your desired password is "taxprep" you are setting it up in January, and you need to change it every 6 months, you'd make it "taxprep07". Every time you use it, you're reminded that you need to change it in July. Then in July you'd change it to "taxprep01". Using this method, you can do a better job of remembering to change the password and also being consistent. This aproach works with any system which requires you to change a password at some given interval. It also meets the basic test of at least 8 characters and mixing letters & numbers.

Of course you can also choose the "Reset Password" option and not bother to keep up with all this stuff.
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I had trouble

entering a new password a couple times on E services. I was trying to just change around the phrase I was using. I ended up calling E services help line and that person told me that the password needs to different from your past 5 passwords. I had two common words in a 4 word phrase that I was using and that was too much alike.
                If changing the last 2 numbers works for you, great...but it does not meet their rules.
                And what a pain if you do let it lapse, wait on the letter than enter that code and reenter a password and that all takes a week or two. So try to renew it on time. Though a phone call to the help desk may let you get back up sooner.
                I have had the account for 5 or 6 years , hard to remember.
                AJ, EA

Comment

I put it on my calendar to change the password every 6 months, (I do in Dec, just before tax season). If you miss changing your password, you have to start all over requesting the letter again. (and not forgetting the temporary password).

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
                    First thank you to all who posted - and to the group, keep posts coming!

The idea of changing my password ever is almost a deal breaker for me. Does anyone know if it is possible to game the system by re entering the same password as though it were new or by simply switching between two passwords back and forth as requested?

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to find out through E Services what my PTIN is and if not tell me what I should do to recover it? Note that I need an existing one not a new one unless it's just more convenient for the Service to give me a new one than find my old one.
                    When changing passwords with eServices you must choose a brand new one which has never been previously used. And I think use a combination of alpha and numeric characters. My scheme is to use brands of Scotch whisky plus ages of same.

As for your PTIN, didn't you use it on tax returns of which you might still have a copy?
                    To get it from IRS you'll need to call their eServices phone number I expect, but I don't
                    remember which number to press (1,2,3, etc) to get to the right place.

Happy New ChEAr$ to all as we all "do it once again." Now I expect everyone to be at his/her office bright and early tomorrow morning.

and many happy return$!
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                      When changing passwords with eServices you must choose a brand new one which has never been previously used.
                      I disagree on this one. I have 6 different passwords I just alternate. I have written them down and put an arrow under the one currently in use.

Comment

Passwords

I now have a book for various passwords. For the e-Services page, I point an arrow to my current password and include the date I changed it. At least 20% of the password has to change, not just the order. So, if you use passWORD01, you can't change to passWORD07 or passWORD10 or 01passWORD but can change to passWORD23. My system is something like passWORD12 then passWORD34, etc. I do like the idea of embedding the date to change in the password. Don't know why I didn't have it on my calendar to change last year. Changing late required me to put in my AGI and year, so changing was not time-consuming. Marking my calender now. By the way, is it every six months?

Comment

After posting my message above, I realized that I had not changed my password in time. So I went ahead to do it. It was real easy this time, took only a minute, they have really improved the process about changing your password. I won't worry so much about it any more.

Comment

Originally posted by AJsTax View Post
                            entering a new password a couple times on E services. I was trying to just change around the phrase I was using. I ended up calling E services help line and that person told me that the password needs to different from your past 5 passwords. I had two common words in a 4 word phrase that I was using and that was too much alike.
                            If changing the last 2 numbers works for you, great...but it does not meet their rules.
                            And what a pain if you do let it lapse, wait on the letter than enter that code and reenter a password and that all takes a week or two. So try to renew it on time. Though a phone call to the help desk may let you get back up sooner.
                            I don't use E-Services. My post was concerning the more general issue of changing passwords periodically. From what you posted, it appears that this method won't work for this application, but I find it useful for many passwords I use and need to change,.
                            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by AJsTax View Post
                              After reading the post, I tried to update my registration yesterday. For some reason, it would not allow completion. I guess I'll have to call as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X