Converting 401 to Roth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting 401 to Roth

I had a client call and both spouses were approached by some broker suggesting that they convert their 401's to a Roth.

Their combined income is about $150,000 and they have two children.

I have never been a big fan of Roth's and always felt that a person had to have pretty good retirement income to make a Roth advantages.

My first thought was 'what's in this for the broker'.

Can someone give me a thought or two on the advantage of adding extra taxes to these peoples return.

Their income is almost all from W-2 work.

Thanks

Roughly what's the additional tax liability, and will they be able to pay it with funds outside the plan?

Will the Roth conversion invlove moving money from one fund into a new one, or does the money stay in the same investment with only the tax classification changing?
    Last edited by JohnH; 12-29-2009, 10:22 PM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Please elaborate on your

Originally posted by Ray View Post
      I had a client call and both spouses were approached by some broker suggesting that they convert their 401's to a Roth.

Their combined income is about $150,000 and they have two children.

I have never been a big fan of Roth's and always felt that a person had to have pretty good retirement income to make a Roth advantages.

My first thought was 'what's in this for the broker'.

Can someone give me a thought or two on the advantage of adding extra taxes to these peoples return.

Their income is almost all from W-2 work.

Thanks
      dislike of ROTH's.

Comment

Working...
      X