LLC dba 123...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LLC dba 123...?

Is this normal that an LLC dba 123.. (the 123 is made up but the LLC name and the dba name are completely different names). This LLC is not listed as dba 123 within the AZ-Corp Commission website. I would think this would defeat the purpose of having an LLC. This LLC is not a corp nor has elected to be taxed as a corp. In my LLC insurance agency, the commissions paid by the insurers are payable to my LLC not to me, the licensed agent. If an insurance client sues me, they have to sue my agency, the LLC. It would seem if the plaintiff paid 123, the plaintiff could sue 123 since that is who the plaintiff paid.

Your thoughts

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    Is this normal that an LLC dba 123.. (the 123 is made up but the LLC name and the dba name are completely different names). This LLC is not listed as dba 123 within the AZ-Corp Commission website. I would think this would defeat the purpose of having an LLC. This LLC is not a corp nor has elected to be taxed as a corp. In my LLC insurance agency, the commissions paid by the insurers are payable to my LLC not to me, the licensed agent. If an insurance client sues me, they have to sue my agency, the LLC. It would seem if the plaintiff paid 123, the plaintiff could sue 123 since that is who the plaintiff paid.

Your thoughts
    Remember just what "dba" stands for: "doing business as".. Or another form is
    t/a - "trading as".

Anybody can make up a name, e.g. "123 Tax service" and use it. perhaps a state or
    local government might also require it to be registered, but not all do.

Since a "dba" is not a legal entity, no one may suit "it", because "it" does not exist
    as a separate person under the law.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post

Your thoughts
      D/B/A
      T/A
      A/K/A

Should all be registered with your state so the Assumed Name has a trail to the LLC. Otherwise, an unregistered assumed name will trace to the PERSON who uses it.

Whenever a client of mine uses an "Also Known As", I have them place both names on all invoices and checks. I don't want any problems as to who they are dealing with.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
      X