Partial List of Professional Certifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partial List of Professional Certifications

In another thread, a poster asked questions about a Certified Bookkeeper course and how to purchase used books for the course. It turned into a discussion of Professional Certifications. Here's a partial list of financial-related certifications. See how many you know:

ABA, ABV, AFE, ATA, ATP, AVA, AES,CCSA,CBA,CB,CBM,CCM,CDFA,CFA,CFE,CFSA,CFM,CFP, CrFA,CFC,CFFA,CED,CFE,CFS,CGAP,CGFM,CHFP,CISA,CISM ,CITP,CIA,CMA,CPA,CPP,CPEA,CPFO,CQA,CRP,CVA,ECS,EA ,FCPA,FPS

Now, think of all the different professional services that are offered and how many more certifications exist.

This list only scratches the surface...do we really need more? Isn't there a saying, "less is more?"

Incidently, I think we had this same discussion last year. It seems to be of re-occurring interest.
    Last edited by Zee; 12-19-2009, 08:44 PM.

I saw one on a card, and did not recognize it. There was a VIP (well it was not than exactly but similar) I asked him what it was, and he said something like Very Important Person. I told him I could not do business with him, because I told him he was trying to deceive people. He said I was right! I am not usually that bold, and I am usually embarrassed to have to ask. But I do ask more now, because I am curious, how many fake ones are there out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Piglee View Post
      I saw one on a card, and did not recognize it. There was a VIP (well it was not than exactly but similar) I asked him what it was, and he said something like Very Important Person. I told him I could not do business with him, because I told him he was trying to deceive people. He said I was right! I am not usually that bold, and I am usually embarrassed to have to ask. But I do ask more now, because I am curious, how many fake ones are there out there.
      I believe those I listed are all from well-respected groups. They're just different specialties. My guess is a listing of the less-respected diploma-mill types of certifications , would be much, much, larger.

Comment

Certifications

Some of these are legitimate. When I was getting my MBA, one of the professors was a CFA. He said it was as difficult to pass the CFA test as it was to pass the CPA test.

I don't think the CPA test is as hard as it used to be. I passed it after they made it easy enough for me, My license number is 9087. Now the numbers are up around # 50000.

Comment

I wonder what the new EA numbers are. Mine is 41631.

Comment

Originally posted by taxxcpa View Post
            I don't think the CPA test is as hard as it used to be. I passed it after they made it easy enough for me, My license number is 9087. Now the numbers are up around # 50000.
            Hi Taxxcpa,

When did you pass it? I take it that you passed it after they made it computerized?

I believe it November 2003 when i finished it up. I found it grueling. I believe that the consensus was that the test had become harder at the time. But then the 'CPA Exam Review' courses had gotten to be so good that it balanced out.

Anyway, that's dissappointing to hear that they made the exam easier.

Comment

Originally posted by tacks View Post
              Hi Taxxcpa,

When did you pass it? I take it that you passed it after they made it computerized?

I believe it November 2003 when i finished it up. I found it grueling. I believe that the consensus was that the test had become harder at the time. But then the 'CPA Exam Review' courses had gotten to be so good that it balanced out.

Letters after your name may get them in the door. After that it's results that keep them and get them back. Most clients are astute enough to tell the difference between results and hyperbole.

Comment

Passed CPA test

Originally posted by tacks View Post
                Hi Taxxcpa,

I passed it in 1969 and got word that I had passed it in early 1970. Nothing had been computerized at that time.

I studied for it by trying to work all the old CPA test questions and re-studying Intermediate accounting and cost accounting. I picked up some study materials at eh AICPA Headquarters in New York when I was making some audits up there.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmcg View Post
                  Letters after your name may get them in the door. After that it's results that keep them and get them back. Most clients are astute enough to tell the difference between results and hyperbole.
                  Hey Jim,

Yes, I'm immediately reminded of a two people i knew/know who are enormously capable -- well versed in areas that i'm unfamiliar with. No letters behind their names but good none the less.

And it sounds as if you have some really good clients. Good for you.

I also have a few but not enough.

And then there are those 'clients' out there who are not astute enough recognize valuable service -- not even astute enough make an educated guess. I like to think that I'm getting a little better at dealing with those types.

thanks for posting
                  back to work

Comment

Bjcp

I passed the Beer Judge Certification Program exam last year and attained the rank of Certified Beer Judge. It was by far the toughest exam I've ever taken. It's a 3 hour test and the only relief is the fact you get a beer to judge each half hour after the first hour. I scored higher on every part of the SEE than I did on any part of the BJCP. A DPM that took the exam with me said it was harder than the Podiatry Board Exam.
                    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
                    X