NY registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NY registration

I need to register and pay the $100 as I am an unenrolled preparer who does 20 NY returns a year. I went to to website and could not figure out how to navigate the registration form. If anyone has succesfully registered can you give me any advice.

NYS registration

You have to set up a personal account first, then move on to the business registration.
    Means you have to give them your SSN as well as other personal info, not just your PTIN.
    I complained - still waiting for a response <w>

Comment

link to instruction

Originally posted by abctax View Post
      You have to set up a personal account first, then move on to the business registration.
      Means you have to give them your SSN as well as other personal info, not just your PTIN.
      I complained - still waiting for a response <w>
      agree with ABCTAX
      I tried to get a copy of the form per your request
      here is the link to the NYS form description
      BTW..there is a phone number at the bottom of the page to call

Comment

New York Enrolled Agent

Do you know why your state doesn't seem to recognize Enrolled Agents along with CPA's and lawyers as it applies to this new legislation? And leave it to New York to make even the registration so complicated that most of us have difficulty navigating the registration process.

I find this one of the most irriatating pieces of legislation to come along in my fifteen years in this business. Seriously, a nine page outline on just how to register. I'm hoping that you might have some sort of inside knowledge about this based on your moniker. Thanks.

Comment

NY registration

NY Enrolled Agent is not responsible for the NYS legislation.

This was a last minute emergency revenue raising measure by Governor Paterson.
          If you would go to www.nyssea.org under the Legislative News you'd find out what happened.

The provision to exclude out of state CPAs from having to register and/or pay the $ 100 fee, angered those in NYSSEA who worked with the responsible legislators to have EAs excluded as well.

There were members of NYSSEA - not including NY Enrolled Agent- who worked extremely hard and made large sacrifices of time (at their own expense) to benefit EAs.

It is suggested that you contribute to the NYSSEA Legal Defense Fund - because at present it's only a New York fight - BUT - shortly other states are going to follow - and it will be a national problem.
          Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

My apologies, Uncle Sam. I meant no harm. As an Enrolled Agent from a state outside of New York who prepares a handful of NY returns, it's a frustration. I realize I'm not the first to voice this frustration. I'm sure you and others having been working hard to rectify this legislation.

Comment

Process may work better now?

I tried to register earlier today and could not get past the first screen (no pull down menu - and I of course have no NY income). When I called the help number, someone in NY told me they were "working on the software."

S L and I exchanged a couple of messages, and she provided me with info that took me to the same place I had visited earlier. This time it worked (~ 6 pm EST).

I agree - seems like a lot of stuff to go through just for a number to file some NY returns, but at least I'm good now through 12/31/2010.

If you had problems, you may wish to try again - you might obtain better results.

FE

Comment

NY Reg

I don't think NY can get their "act together"
                The screens and links (at least for me since Nov 09) seem to change
                I was finally successful, but only with some assistance from our friends here at TB

PM me and I will share and see if I can assist.

For whatever it is worth, I found the registration on Federal E-Services a "whole lot easier" and less frustrating, than the NY Registration!

Sandy
                Last edited by S T; 12-17-2009, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Do you know why your state doesn't seem to recognize Enrolled Agents along with CPA's and lawyers as it applies to this new legislation?
                  a) Because NY wants the money

b) Because the NY CPAs and Attorneys already pay a fee.

c) Because the EAs don't have a strong lobby

d) Because NY wants the money

e) All of the above

Comment

Originally posted by DonPriebe View Post

e) All of the above
                    I am a non-resident of NY, and an Enrolled Agent. IRS recognizes CPA's, Lawyers, and EA's with the same privileges. This is clearly discriminating against EA's, which is my beef. I agree, EA's don't have a strong lobby. I prepare about a half-dozen NY returns a year, but may give them up. It's not worth the hassle.

Comment

Seeing t hrough the NY registration fog

e) All of the above

I think you failed to mention the main reason: "Because NY wants the money."

As an outsider (I prepare very few NY returns - mostly part-year or non-resident ones) looking in, it would seem to me there could be some real legal issues here that might not sustain a good court challenge by the non-NY folks.

Oh yes: It just occurred to me to add to your list this possible reason - "Because NY wants the money."

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                        I think you failed to mention the main reason: "Because NY wants the money."

As an outsider (I prepare very few NY returns - mostly part-year or non-resident ones) looking in, it would seem to me there could be some real legal issues here that might not sustain a good court challenge by the non-NY folks.

Oh yes: It just occurred to me to add to your list this possible reason - "Because NY wants the money."

FE
                        You are right, NYS wants money but not only yours. They want to go after the taxpayer that is using preparers who have no reguard for tax laws. So to NYS, both are violators and they wants additional funds from all.

Of course any preparer that doesn't sign the return, NY can't go after( on the surface).
                        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

For what it's worth, the New York law requiring NY tax preparers to furnish a copy of the "NY Taxpayer's Bill of Rights" to the client excludes Attorneys, CPAs, AND EAs.

(But that law doesn't provide any revenue to the state.)

Comment

For what it's worth, the New York law requiring NY tax preparers to furnish a copy of the "NY Taxpayer's Bill of Rights" to the client excludes Attorneys, CPAs, AND EAs.
                            FYI - This inconsistency between the above & the registration law will be one of the points raised in the oral arguments on NYSSEA's lawsuit scheduled for Jan 28.

Comment

Originally posted by JCH View Post
                              Do you know why your state doesn't seem to recognize Enrolled Agents along with CPA's and lawyers as it applies to this new legislation? And leave it to New York to make even the registration so complicated that most of us have difficulty navigating the registration process.

I find this one of the most irriatating pieces of legislation to come along in my fifteen years in this business. Seriously, a nine page outline on just how to register. I'm hoping that you might have some sort of inside knowledge about this based on your moniker. Thanks.
                              Without defending the stupid rules, I will give you some insight into what they were doing. First of all, they wanted everyone who prepares a New York State tax return to be registered. New York State licensed attorneys and CPAs already have some form of registration. Attorneys and CPAs outside of New York as well as all EAs do not have any form of registration. After that, in my opinion, they got stupid since they only wanted the registration numbers of those individuals who were not CPAs and attorneys to be reported on the New York State tax return.

This will become a nightmare for them. They will need to inspect every return without a registration number to see if it might be a New York State licensed CPA or attorney.

They have now made this worse for themselves,since recently passed (and signed into law, I believe) legislation gives out-of-state CPAs and attorneys the same status as NY licensed CPAs and Attorneys. Now, lots more returns will validly not have registration numbers.

Regarding Enrolled Agents, with the new law that give all CPAs and attorneys the same status as those licensed by New York State, it is no longer a question of identification and monitoring individuals not already tracked by the state and I would now agree that Enrolled Agents should be treated the same way.
                              Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X