Taking disclosure to the max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking disclosure to the max

Had a guy in yesterday said he wanted to "borrow" two W-4 forms (you suppose he'll pay back the "loan"?) and mentioned that his wife had recently filled out one. Said he took it to their out-of-town accountant (what's wrong with me if I'm good enough to "borrow" from?) who told him "I cannot accept this form from you -- sorry, but she will have to bring it to me herself."

Sounds mighty picky to me. If such an interpretation (only W-4s from the horse's mouth) is correct, then I'd have to assume a relative could not drop off housebound granny's income tax papers to me. And what a mess that would be.

I intend to be careful, but that just seems too much -- handing out papers is serious business alright, but taking them is something else altogether. If you followed these chicken**** rules to the nth degree, you'd be so tied hand and foot that you'd just have to run everybody off -- you couldn't even do business.

Other opinions?

(To clarify: the accountant is their employer's accountant -- not theirs.
    Last edited by Black Bart; 12-16-2009, 06:59 PM.

Yes, sounds pretty picky to me as well. Maybe the requirement to hand-deliver the W-4's is coming from the other end of the horse...
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

What

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
      Said he took it to their out-of-town accountant
      BB What am I missing. Are not the W-4's given to the Employer.
      Red

Comment

Yeah

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
        BB What am I missing. Are not the W-4's given to the Employer.
        Red
        they are, but the employers I do payroll for always bring/mail their collected W-4 forms to me. Maybe it's the same here except employer has new employees do that chore for him.

Would you take a W-4 from one person for another person? I can't see any reason not to.

Comment

Involvement

As I read through this, I'm trying to figure out what intolerable regulation BB encroached upon.

Can he distribute a blank W-4? Why not?

Is he giving advice on how someone's wife should fill it out? Nope.

Is he distributing public information with knowledge that some jerk may misuse it? Maybe, so what if he is?

Is he infringing on the domain of the employer? I don't see where public information is the "domain" of anyone.

Just exactly where are iggonernt folks like me and Bart supposed to know when a line is being crossed??
          Last edited by Nashville; 12-16-2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Sure

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
            Would you take a W-4 from one person for another person? I can't see any reason not to.
            Sure I would. I don't do payroll so that's why I'am not understanding.

Red

Comment

I follow the IRS procedures: they will accept information from anyone about anyone, but will not give information out except under POA or directly to the taxpayer. Having someone bring in another's W-4 is OK by me, unless I have reason to think the information is not valid. I would follow-up with the person, by phone or email, to confirm the W-4 came from them.
              "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X