Cont. Education Seminar and Blizzard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cont. Education Seminar and Blizzard

I signed up for a seminar for $265. The seminar was to be held about 15 miles from where I live.

I called them the day before the seminar and told them that a huge bilzzard was coming and I may not able able to attend but I will try. Sure enough the blizzard came, everything was shut down. Could not even get my car out of the garage. The roads were not plowed and the State was telling everyone to stay home. Still have not received U.S. mail due to the severity of the storm.

The seminar company person I spoke to said that the seminar was offered to me. The fact that I could not attend was not their problem. Bottom line, $265 gone, no continuing education, no credit for next time, and no book!

Does this sound like a fair deal?

Should I keep trying to neogotiate with this outfit? Any ideas?

First, I would call again. If that person, won't help, ask for a supervisor. If necessary, ask for their supervisor. If all else fails, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I abhor folks who try to rip you off like this.
    Sandy >^..^<

Comment

Work with them

Don't know where you live, but Northern Iowa recently had 15 inches of snow. That location is usually ready with SnowPlows, but that works nicely on I-35 or US 218 and leave the smaller communities off-the-beaten-path to fend for themselves.

Where I live, a half-inch of snow shuts down schools and almost creates martial law. If the seminar were here and this happened, no one would show up for the seminar, perhaps not even the instructors. People would be asking for their money back instead of driving through a half inch of snow. Ridiculous.

In my opinion you need to identify where your situation stands on the spectrum of reasonable absence. Find out how many people were registered and how many missed. For example, if 80 people were registered and 78 of them came, then I would take a good hard look at myself. You might be from Louisiana and need to learn a few things about North Dakota.

On the other hand, if there were a significant number of absences, then the sponsors need to evaluate themselves. You probably can't force them to refund your money, but they don't like bad publicity. And any reasonable person would think you are at least entitled to course materials. If they are not willing to send you these, they are really sleazy.
      Last edited by Nashville; 12-10-2009, 05:53 PM.

Comment

if they don't play ball

call your credit card company and dispute the charge, even if you've already paid it off. Policies vary, but AmEx reverses the charge immediatly, then fights it out with the business. I think Visa and MC have similar rules for things purchased but not delivered.

ATG
        "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
        Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Comment

Please share the name

of the CPE provider.

Comment

It is also counter-productive to them if people are like me. I once made an error on-line one evening and signed up for a NATP seminar. I called the next morning to tell of the mistake. In this case I was only out $25. They said it was their policy never to refund the $25 fee for any reason.

But even though I really like many aspects of NATP and am still a member - I have never again signed up for any seminars they offer by way of protest. Not even on-line seminars. It seems unreasonable that someone couldn't use their judgement and make a member happy. It certainly wasn't the money - it was pure stubbornness
            JG

Comment

I agree

with ATG about the credit card company aspect. I didn't think of that at first and it's excellent advice.

I also agree with veritas and JG. I have stood on principle many times regarding poor service given not just to me but to others also.
              Sandy >^..^<

Comment

Cont. education seminar

Finally got this resolved. It turns out there were over hundred people registered and about 30 showed up ( a bit over 20%). Some of those were already staying at the hotel so they walked downstairs and were there.

I sent a letter to the Company with the headlines on the blizzard and all the statements from officials saying not to drive etc. I asked for 1/2 off on the next years seminar. If for whatever reason I don't make it, they can keep all the money.

Received a form letter from the Company saying that the seminars are held regardless of the weather. They offered to let me attend at another location. In this case the locations were 100 miles away and were already done.

As a result of the poor turnout, we were able to do a self study course. I did the self study over Christmas and received the continuing education credit by fax.

The Company is "Basics & Beyond" out of Mooresville, North Carolina.

Glad it turned out alright but I will exercise caution when registering at other seminars and perhaps not even register until a day prior to the seminar to be sure things work out.

Comment

Glad it worked out for you. Appreciate you posting the name of the company and, although I have not heard of them, will know to be careful of them.

LT
                  Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Yep, gotta watch out for those people in NC.
                    Never know when you might run across a scoundrel or two.

Or, as my father in law used to say when he had reservations about somebody:
                    "I ain't calling him a liar, but sometimes he's been known to play fast & loose with the truth."
                    Last edited by JohnH; 01-12-2010, 03:43 PM.
                    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                    X