Hsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hsa

I know very little about HSAs, so I need some help from someone who does.

Taxpayer and spouse both have one. Each rec'd 1099-SA shown below:

Box 1, $1,109 code 1 (normal), total contribution was $1,841.
    Next one:
    Box 1, $320 code 1, total contribution was $486.

When I enter this into Form 8889, it shows all this as taxable, which I understand it to be non-taxable. Isn't this correct?

This could be the way I am inputting this into the software, but the fields seem very straightforward, so I don't think this is the problem I'm encountering.

What is your take on this according to the info above?

Thank you, Dennis

I had to do one of these for a Archer MSA this week. Are you putting down the unreimbursed qualified medical expenses? I believe it will show up as taxable unless you put that they paid out the distribution for medical expenses. That was what happened to me. The distribution was showing up taxable unless I entered the medical expenses.

Comment

No,

I did not do this. In fact, I don't remember an input field for this. I will review your post and check on this the moment I get to the office tomorrow.

Thanks so much!
      Dennis

Comment

Geekgirldany

I got to the office this morning and went through the form (8889) and did put the medical expenses down. From there, I was able to see what other info was needed, which I got and finished the form for a nice adjustment to the client's income!

Thanks for the suggestion. Big help.

Dennis

Comment

Its good we can help each other out.

Comment

Working...
          X