EA Renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EA Renewal

Renewals are due by January 31, 2010 for numbers ending in 0-1-2-3.

While I've been thinkin'/worryin' about that off and on for a few months, like my recent "dead man walkin' client" said: "I just never got around to it."

I knew this thing (my first one) was looming but other important matters delayed me. Imagine my surprise when a quick check revealed renewals had already begun (Nov. 1st).

While my negligence can, of course, be forgiven, I'm put out with IRS' treating this so casually. The renewal form 8554 instructions reveal their view of its importance: "We will generally (italics mine) send you a reminder notice when you are due for renewal." And if they don't....? Excommunication? What? Anybody know what happens to the license if we don't make the cutoff date? Right now it's not a disaster, but if that licensing dealie ever goes into effect, it could be serious.

Wish we could send them a notice saying "Generally, if your response is not received within a reasonable period, you will be required to go out of business."

Do doctors and lawyers have to be re-licensed every now and then? I demand equal professional suffering.

I got my renewal notiice recently. Do they have your current address?

Comment

Round Tuit

Bart, I'm going to send you one of these. I need one every now and then for stuff that I should do but never get a round tuit.

Comment

Thanx

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
        Bart, I'm going to send you one of these. I need one every now and then for stuff that I should do but never get a round tuit.
        Glad to hear from you, my learned Southern compatriot. As always, you're right in the forefront of that tech-talk scientific stuff and I'm hopin' your invention/software/animal or whatever it is will cure my procrastinatin' ways.

Can I get one at Tractor Farm Suppy? Is there a feed bill? If yes, is it high?

Originally posted by Y2KEA View Post
        I got my renewal notiice recently. Do they have your current address?
        I haven't moved since I got the license, so I guess so.

When exactly did you get yours? If just in the last few days, I rest my case 'cause waitin' a month to mail it out kinda defeats 1/3 of the purpose of havin' a three-month renewal.

Comment

I got my notice the first week of November.
          Go to www.pay.gov & fill in the 8554 form & pay online.
          It takes 5 minutes.

Comment

Compare it to other bills

Bart if one of your bills got lost in the mail one month you'd probably remember to call them and ask what you owed and if you already knew that then you'd just pay them, right? And if you didn't, you'd pay the penalty when they called or a piece of mail got through, right?

The IRS is actually easier to get along with on EA renewal than anyone else to whom I pay money. Last renewal cycle I did get my letter in November and I know that for sure because I knew right where it was when I got the letter in March saying that my renewal had not been received. All I had to do was write the check and sign the form that I had done my continuing ed when I was supposed to and of course send both in. I got my new card later than I would have if I had sent the stuff in on time but that wasn't a real problem. I called OPR while my application was pending and the very nice person assured me that once you are told that you are an EA you have the right to function as such until such time as you are notified otherwise.

Comment

Right;

Originally posted by erchess View Post
              Bart if one of your bills got lost in the mail one month you'd probably remember to call them and ask what you owed and if you already knew that then you'd just pay them, right? And if you didn't, you'd pay the penalty when they called or a piece of mail got through, right?
              except...they send me a bill every month which is much easier to remember than one sent every three years (for example, your March payment of a November bill). Too, all that happens on the bill is I'm 30 days late while, depending on who handles your case at IRS some "rules-are-rules" character might try to cut off your license.

I've talked to IRS nice guys too, but that doesn't mean anything -- occasionally you'll draw a first-class SOB.

Comment

Black Bart, I have

a friend that is a psychiatrist. I asked him the same question a couple weeks ago. He said he had to have 50 hrs per year to have his licensee renewed. I came sooo close to not making my renewal this year, well, I will never make this mistake again!!
                Larry

Comment

Ea Renewal

Just did application on line and paid took ten minutes I can not believe something with IRS was that easy.

Comment

Working...
                  X