Credit for the Elderly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit for the Elderly

No more credit for the elderly on the 1040. Maybe the old Schedule R has been laid to rest. I haven't had any since the 1980s anyway.

The 1040 removes this for 2009. Guess it has been put out of its misery.

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
    No more credit for the elderly on the 1040. Maybe the old Schedule R has been laid to rest. I haven't had any since the 1980s anyway.

It still exists. It is a write-in on line 53.

Comment

Schedule R is still around; it did not disappear. If you look at the 2009 version, line 24 it says to enter the total amount on line 53 (check box c and enter "Sch R" on the line next to that box.

Comment

Adieu Sch R

I've done way too many tax returns over way too many years.

To the best of my recollection, I've prepared a single Schedule R.

Good (almost) riddance!

FE

Comment

Schedule R

It probably can be eliminated -Seems obsolete - T/p has to be 65 or older "or" under age 65 and permanently and totally disabled and receive taxable disability income. Then there are the income limits - would any t/p qualify now?? If t/p receives more than $ 5,000 non taxable social security or other non taxable pensions, etc you can't take the credit. I have a few t/p's that receive under the $5,000 SS benefit - but their income from other sources is always more than what is referenced to on the Chart or they just don't have a filing requirement.

I haven't completed a Schedule R in I don't know how many years
          and then I think maybe I have only filed less than 5 Schedule R's since 1980 or so.

Sandy
          Last edited by S T; 11-25-2009, 10:58 PM.

Comment

The form is really obsolete, but I don't think that there is a congressman alive who wants to introduce a bill to kill a credit for senior citizens. AARP would eat them alive!

Comment

R

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post

Like others, I've done maybe one (not even sure of that) and it always worried me -- thinking "Am I remiss on this? I can never seem to use it for anybody. Why don't they just kill this turkey?"

TaxmannEA/ The form is really obsolete, but I don't think that there is a congressman alive who wants to introduce a bill to kill a credit for senior citizens. AARP would eat them alive!
              And TaxmannEA has the answer I believe (don't know why it never dawned on me). Of course this makes perfect sense; it's a hot potato no politician would ever want/need to touch and so will likely outlive everybody on this board.

Here's a little related-in-principle fact that I once read: In 1800 a lookout's post was established on the white cliffs of Dover in England to watch for a possible naval invasion by Napoleon. In 1956 the British government abolished that job.

Comment

Working...
              X