Question about Vehicle Credit for Golf Carts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Vehicle Credit for Golf Carts

Client can purchase and pay for the golf cart that qualifies for the vehicle credit in 2009. However, due to the increased demand for these carts because of this credit, the dealer can't deliver the cart until sometime early 2010.

Since he doesn't actually take possession until 2010, is he entitled to the credit on his 2009 return? Is the contolling factor when he purhased and paid for it or when he takes delivery?

Anyone have any idea?
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Does this help?

Looks like IRS says the person must have title to the vehicle under state law, but says nothing about when it's placed in service.

================================================== ==

I also ran across this while looking up the answer, so I just had to post the link even though it has nothing to do with your question. At first I thought it was a spoof, (especially when I saw the extension cord), but I finally realized he is serious after reading the info. Wonder what happens if he drives that thing in the rain...

This website is for sale! solarcarandtractor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, solarcarandtractor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
    Last edited by JohnH; 11-24-2009, 08:34 PM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Are you sure it qualifies

At an NCPE conference I think they said golf carts don't qualify for this credit. I am not certain I am quoting them correctly but I suggest you research this to be sure a gold cart qualifies.

Comment

Another Thread On This

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

I personally question whether anyone is going to make or buy a street legal golf cart.

Comment

they are available!

Originally posted by erchess View Post
          I personally question whether anyone is going to make or buy a street legal golf cart.
          Global Electric Motorcar makes several models, I have driven one. they are amazing within their scope. The company claims they are eligible for the tax credit. this is the wave of the future!!!! ;-)

GEM electric vehicles are exceptionally engineered for individuals, cities, campuses and communities. Redefine your drive with a GEM EV.
          AJ, EA

Comment

Yes, there are numerous companies who make street legal golf carts. You can't drive them on the interstate, but they can be driven on local roads with restrictions. You see them all over the place in resort areas.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I assume we are talking about electric golf carts?

How much is the credit and is it a refundable credit? If not can the credit be carried forward?

Comment

I just found my answers....deregard my questions.

Thanks to reading my post

Comment

Is this where you found your answer?
                  It loooks fairly comprehensive...

Comment

Thank you all for your input. Client says he has the papers showing it is eligible for the credit.

So, time will tell...................................
                    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Well...I'll be darned. I'd have never thought electric cars that are essentially golf carts would qualify for a tax credit. I wonder what lobbyist/legislator pushed for this credit? But...purchaser's better hurry, it appears the credit ends 12/31/09.

Comment

Crazy credits

Originally posted by Zee View Post
                        Well...I'll be darned. I'd have never thought electric cars that are essentially golf carts would qualify for a tax credit. I wonder what lobbyist/legislator pushed for this credit? But...purchaser's better hurry, it appears the credit ends 12/31/09.
                        I couldn't hardly believe it either (still don't want to risk recommending it), but look at the IRS link provided by our worthy colleague John H. (the big showoff -- he's always turnin' up with good info).

It states "Credits listed for Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicles are valid only for vehicles acquired on or before December 31, 2009." While it doesn't specifically mention "golf cart," it does say "Manufacturers of the vehicles listed below have provided appropriate information and have received from the Service acknowledgment of the vehicles eligibility for the credit..." and goes on to list several seemingly golf-related makers -- examples: Club Car Inc./ Fairplay Electric Vehicles/ Wheego Electric Cars/ Western GolfCars Mfg/ etc. etc.

Say what you will about lobbyists, they're effective. A golf cart, for heaven's sake! What next?

I'm emailin' my congressperson about a credit for purchasers of fat-free pickled Pigs Feet (should go over big locally).

Comment

I'm not a showoff - just walking talking proof of the blind hog theory.

Comment

Working...
                          X