X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fifty years ago in history

Ford Motor Company announced the demise of the

EDSEL.

That long ago? Wow. Time sure flies when you're having fun.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Detroit Roots

The 1960 Model year was the last for the Edsel. Very few were made, and you can tell the 1960 from the other Edsels because it was the only model year without the horizontal "eyebrow" - type taillights. As ChEAr$ has offerred, discontinuance was announced late in 1959. I was around then, although young, and even living in Detroit at the time. It was hard to keep secrets about automobiles in Detroit.

This was an entry into the "mid-price" field. It was easier to survive in the "low-price" or "luxury" field as many cars in the mid-price field got squeezed out. These included American models such as the Edsel, DeSoto, Hudson, and in recent years, the Oldsmobile.

The Edsel management division was separate and apart from the rest of Ford. They were told to "sink or swim." Management groups at GM, by contrast, were amorphous and not distinctive. Lincoln and Mercury were run by the same management division, and the two models didn't have to compete with each other. Rumors of insurrection of the Edsel group versus the Lincoln-Mercury division became talk-on-the-street, even to the extent of production sabotage. Ultimately Ford could not keep both the Edsel and the Mercury. The decision was easy -- Edsel was not selling cars, and Mercury had a large and somewhat loyal base of returning customers.

It's hard to believe now, but back then most people bought a new car every 2-3 years. That's because no one would finance for longer than 3 years. Most people would buy a new car when their existing car was paid off. Plus in the Northern states with winter salt on the highways, a car would be a rust-bucket in three years.

I can't imagine a subject more off-topic. But those of you who have read thus far can consider yourself edified.
    Last edited by Nashville; 11-19-2009, 11:57 AM.

Comment

On topic

especially considering the name of one of our esteemed members in this forum.
      (grin)
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

61 Years Of History

In that we may be off the topic of taxes, I thought I would throw this in. Out of high school in 1948 I went to work for my father and his partner learning auto mechanics in Downers grove Illinois 20 miles outside of Chicago.
        As time went on I worked on the oil clutch in the Hudson.Hudson had the first frame and body unit structure, you would step down to get into the auto. The 12 cylinder Lincoln was a popular car at the time. I also worked on the Packard, it was designed like an upside down bath tub Gasoline was 15 cents per gallon and oil 25 cents per quart.
        When I married at age 20, I was making $35.00 per week and we paid $30.00 per month for our apartment.It was on the first floor and cold as hell in the winter. Who cares we ever on our honeymoon for 49 years until I lost my wife in 2000.Have a great evening everyone.

Comment

Bellwood, IL

I was born in Berwyn, IL, and grew up in Bellwood. My dad worked for Scully Jones Tool & Die Company in Chicago that made parts for the automobile industry. Before he retired, the owners sold it to Bendix.

Comment

When We Were Young

Hi Lion In 1955 I went to work for the Hyster Company as a lift truck mechanic. They were just north of the congress expressway on 25th avenue in Bellwood Illinois. I was with the Hyster Company until 1978.I transfered with Hyster to San Francisco from Chicago in 1970. My late wife and I purchased an office supply business in Burlingame California and operated it until 1983. I am kind of a jack of all trades master of none [ may be tax preparation for over 20 years is my master].After retiring at age 53 from the office supply business I started my tax practice in 1987.Passed out flyers on car windshields, got 35 clients the first year. Next year did the same, got 30 more clients. I guess I was just at the right place at the right time.As I recall we talked about our past a few months ago, nice to hear from you. In closing you are a long way from Bellwood at this point in your life.

Comment

Long way from home

I went from Bellwood, IL, (and Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI) to Santa Barbara, CA, to Weston, CT. At my age, we're considering a move to the South next, and probably last. My sister still lives in the Bellwood house. I own some farm land in Montgomery County, IL, that my grandfather bought in the 1880s or so; my cousins farm it.
              Last edited by Lion; 11-21-2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Great Story Lion

Thanks Lion. I enjoyed hearing about your journey.If you get interested in Arizona for retirement; I can put you in touch with a good friend in Tucson. My mother lived in Sun City west of Phoenix. I know that area well and can also put you in touch with folks there. Have a great thanksgiving. Regards To all viewing our history.

Comment

Working...
                X