Making sure a return is not missed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making sure a return is not missed...

I was wondering how everyone keeps tab of work in and work out and perhaps work that should be in but is not.

For example: I'm a TX CPA and Monday is the extended due date for TX Franchise Tax Returns. These returns are filed by LLC's, partnerships and corporations so in my tax return program manager I don't see a list of these -I just see returns for the 1065, 1040 and 1120's.

So I'm combing my client list for LLC's and Inc's thinking there must be a better way...

I'm thinking perhaps I need a master list of all 1040's, 1065's, 1120's, st returns, payroll returns etc. As each deadline passes I always wonder "Have I forgotten anyone?"

How do you prevent forgotten returns in your office?

Carolyn

I keep a WIP list daily.

Every day I mark all appts. first thing in the morning, check in any mailed in returns before organizing them for processing, and before I put postage on any outgoing mail, enter into the spreadsheet. I also keep separate file drawers for those returns which are waiting for 8879s and those which have been filed, but not yet accepted. Each morning, I check for and acks and then move the file into an A/R drawer if necessary or completed. If anyone wants a copy of my excel file, please let me know.
    Sandy >^..^<

Comment

Excel File

I would like your excel file. That sounds handy.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
        I would like your excel file. That sounds handy.
        We use a great product from the TValue people to track our work in our office. The software is called File in Time. You can get a demo of the software off their website, which is timevlaue.com. We do accounting, bookkeeping, etc. in addition to taxes so this software has been a godsend. It took a bit of set-up but after that it runs very simply and smoothly.

Maribeth

Comment

One more plug for Taxwise software. On a list of all returns under consideration, the status
          of each may be annotated by me. The list has headings, like a subdirectory listing and the list may be reordered by clicking a particular heading to list returns in that order.

If you use software you might check to see if it, too, has such features.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Won't work

I have tried some of the discussed techniques and similar software. The problem with all of them is that they all require someone to enter something, somewhere. If this is forgotten, there may be a missed file. The problem is that you do not need to track the files that are in the tracking system, you need to track the files that you have missed! Sort of like proving the negative - how can you make a list of files that you have forgotten about? We are still groping about for a perfect solution in our offices.
            Christopher Mewhort, EA
            mewhorttax.com

Comment

All tax programs that I have ever had has had a "status condition" that I can create that tells me when I have finished a return or waiting for info, or ready for review and so on. Check with your program for such a tool.
              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Tracking

I don't know if they still make it, but I use PPC Tracker. When I get a new client, the first thing I do is enter them in Trakker and set them up for all the work they need (tax returns, personal property tax returns, 1099s, payroll, etc.) Trakker tracks due dates for various services and I can print a report at anytime of the work still outstanding (you do have to go in and mark when the work is delivered or completed for the reports to be accurate.) I assign every client a number, so in order for that client to be entered anywhere else (timekeeping software, tax software, online folders set up, etc)., they have to have a client number which I generate in Trakker. So, all of my clients are in the Trakker database and can't be missed that way. I also am able to get a data file from Trakker to merge into my mailings at the beginning of tax season, which is very handy.

The trouble with tracking through the tax software is that if you missed a new client, they won't be in the tax software yet. At least in my office!

I started my first year using an excel spreadsheet but it became too complicated as I added more clients with different services. I'm not familiar with the T-Value product although I use their amortization software and like it. It sounds like it might do the same thing as Trakker.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                  All tax programs that I have ever had has had a "status condition" that I can create that tells me when I have finished a return or waiting for info, or ready for review and so on. Check with your program for such a tool.
                  We use that feature in our office. What do you do when a somewhat inexperienced preparer in one of your branch offices marks a return as "completed" by mistake? Or "efile complete" when the return has not been finished? Stuff happens. How do you find the returns that have a problem when your tracking software indicates that there is no problem? This is an ongoing problem for me.
                  Christopher Mewhort, EA
                  mewhorttax.com

Comment

I also have PPC's Trackker. I used it for many years (about 15). I liked it but it required a lot of maintence to keep it up to date. The only reason I stopped using it was I stopped working long hours.

I found it easier using the tax return "status codes". With any program you have to enter the new client. I do it in the tax program even if I don't have all the data, but I do create the basic file and create a "Status code" for it.

The only thing I use PPC's Trackker for now, is logging my tax appointments> it is the best I have ever used. My older version is network capable so anyone can make an appointment on the LAN.
                    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle View Post
                      We use that feature in our office. What do you do when a somewhat inexperienced preparer in one of your branch offices marks a return as "completed" by mistake? Or "efile complete" when the return has not been finished? Stuff happens. How do you find the returns that have a problem when your tracking software indicates that there is no problem? This is an ongoing problem for me.
                      I guess I'm just lucky. I'm the only one doing tax returns. But if I have other preparers I would not allow them to mark a return finalized without clearence from me or I would maintain a paper "delivered" list and match it to the "status code", but probably do both.

Even though I'm by myself I find that I am constantly reviewing my status codes to see if anything looks wrong.
                      Last edited by BOB W; 11-15-2009, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by equinecpa View Post
                        I was wondering how everyone keeps tab of work in and work out and perhaps work that should be in but is not.

For example: I'm a TX CPA and Monday is the extended due date for TX Franchise Tax Returns. These returns are filed by LLC's, partnerships and corporations so in my tax return program manager I don't see a list of these -I just see returns for the 1065, 1040 and 1120's.

So I'm combing my client list for LLC's and Inc's thinking there must be a better way...

I'm thinking perhaps I need a master list of all 1040's, 1065's, 1120's, st returns, payroll returns etc. As each deadline passes I always wonder "Have I forgotten anyone?"

How do you prevent forgotten returns in your office?

Carolyn
                        Hi Carolyn - Most of that is done the hard way. I keep an Excel "To Do" spreadsheet that lists in separate columns: Quarterly payroll forms clients, Monthly Sales Tax clients, Annual Income Tax Business Clients, Annual Review Clients, Quarterly Compilation Clients, Monthly Write-Up Clients ....you get the picture. It isn't fancy, just a list that I can check off and refer to as needed. I keep it simple so adding and deleting clients takes just a second.

I use Drake software and they have a very nice Client Status Manager feature that I use exclusively to track where I am in preparing tax returns. It is customized so I can add my own levels of completion. For instance "8879" means I've mailed the hard copy and am waiting for them to return the signed form 8879. "Printed" means it needs to be assembled and mailed. "Need Info" obviously means I'm waiting for something from the client. "In Progress" means I've received the info but have not started on the return yet. Drake also exports to MS Excel to create a list of business clients I'm watching out for.

Does your tax software have any feature that you could use to help out with keeping track of client statuses? I sure use mine a lot.
                        Last edited by BHoffman; 11-14-2009, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Drake

Carolyn or any other Drake User

Does the Drake Client Manager adapt itself easily to a client for whom the work does not involve Drake Software or some parts of the work are not done in Drake?

I do tax prep, all in Drake now, but I also will do after the fact payroll on request and although I am looking into using Drake CWU for that I don't know that I will. Of course I also don't know that I will do any Payroll in the upcoming season but it seems likely I will. I also do representation for which Drake has nothing to offer except preparation of returns and not all audit situations involve that.

I'm very interested in hearing about project management with an excel spreadsheet particularly if ones are being offered, and I'm also very interested in hearing about project management software. I hope to grow to have employees so I am interested in hearing how others manage offices with employees.
                          Last edited by erchess; 11-14-2009, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Sandy/Tilt

Sandy/Tilt,

Me, too, please! RitaLewis@DollarsSense.com

Thank you very much.

Comment

No

[QUOTE=erchess;88969]Carolyn or any other Drake User

Does the Drake Client Manager adapt itself easily to a client for whom the work does not involve Drake Software or some parts of the work are not done in Drake?

Sorry, but no. The Client Status Manager can only track tax returns entered in Drake.
                              Christopher Mewhort, EA
                              mewhorttax.com

Comment

Working...
                              X