Procedural Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Procedural Question

If I do an installment agreement for a taxpayer can I then go back and make the argument that the original debt was less than the IRS was claiming or must I make that claim first before the installment agreement?

Background - Have a new client who is having IRS Garnishment and NCDOR seizure of bank accounts because in 2006 he didn't file Sch D. As we all know it's almost a lead pipe cinch that he doesn't owe as much as they are claiming but it may take me a while to help him get the basis info together. I am therefore thinking that an immediate IA might buy him some breathing room but I am concerned it would then be too late to claim his basis.

And I agree that he made his bed but since he wants to pay me to help him make it as comfortable as the law and the facts allow I intend to do just that.

File a 911 form with the Taxpayer Advocate Service. Explain that you need time to reconstruct basis and ask for audit reconsideration of the original assessment. I wouldn't do the IA until the proper tax is assessed.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
    X