Sole selling businesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sole selling businesses

Client sold three businesses in Aug 2005. In past, previous preparer filed three sch "C" under same federal ID. Since client sold all, I am thinking to file just one Sch C for 2005. Do you see any issues?

I will allocated selling price to each asset and figure gain or loss.

Thanks

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Client sold three businesses in Aug 2005. In past, previous preparer filed three sch "C" under same federal ID. Since client sold all, I am thinking to file just one Sch C for 2005. Do you see any issues?

Thanks
    Make sure you add all other related items.

Comment

One Question

Thanks
      Were all businesses sold at the same time?

Comment

For a Schedule C business, you simply report each asset sold on the 4797 as a separate asset and inventory on the Schedule C. You would also file Form 8594 if all the assets were sold as a group of assets making up a trade or business. The buyer would also file a Form 8594 using the same numbers. TTB, page 25-3 gives you a chart on how the buyer and seller treat the sale of each asset per category.

As to multiple Schedule Cs, I think you should continue to treat each Schedule C as a separate business. IRS wants a separate Schedule C for each activity. I don't think the fact that the t/p was using the same EIN for each has any relevance.

Comment

Working...
        X