Excess SEP Contribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excess SEP Contribution

Need help on how and where to report execess contribution, and how to generate the penalty?
    Confucius say:
    He who sits on tack is better off.

Corp or Personal?

If it is personal and it is for the owner of the business then 5329. However, when was the contribution made? Could it possibly straddle a couple of years since you can make contributions until 4/15/06 for 2005 and actually reclass the 06 contributions made to be taken in 06?

Also, is it excess because they put in > 20% of the SE Income? I guess my question is did they deduct 10% and put in 20%? If so you could amend.

Just trying to cover all the angles. If it is an overcontribution with no remedy, make sure they take out the excess as well as earnings.
    I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Matt

As I understand it the taxpayer quessed at her personal self employment profits and contributed what she thought would be allowed, $1500.00 on her 2004 tax return.

As it turned out only $103.00 was allowable based on her net profit of$ 553 less SE 0f $39
      times 20%=$103.00.
      Last edited by RLymanC; 02-23-2006, 07:30 PM.
      Confucius say:
      He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

When

When did she make that deposit? During 2004 or between Jan and Apr 2005? If in 2005 she could reclass it to a 2005 SEP deposit.
        I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

The procedures for excess contributions on Form 5329 only applies to Traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs, Coverdell ESAs, Archer MSAs, and HSAs. Form 5329 cannot be used for SEP-IRAs.

Any contribution to a SEP-IRA in excess of the allowable amount may be carried over and deducted by the employer in succeeding taxable years, subject to the deduction limits for the carryover year [Section 404(h)(1)(C)]

However, if you leave the excess contribution in the account and carry it over to the following year, the excess is subject to current income to the participant (cannot be taken as a deduction on the 1040 in the case of the self-employed individual) and is also subject to a 10% penalty (not 6% as is the case with a traditional IRA) each year it remains in the account as an excess contribution [Section 4979(a)].

The 10% excess penalty is reported on Form 5330.

Comment

Thank you

Bees:

Thanks for the correction. See guys contrary to my belief, I do not know everything.

Matt

Comment

Working...
            X