Nys Y-t-d Paychecks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nys Y-t-d Paychecks

NYS is now requiring that ALL paychecks have Current and Y-T-D info on them (stub area).
    I have many employers with 1 to 5 employees who were just writting a standard check with NO other info on it (some only with the current period breakdown).

I checked the internet and found a simple program called Medlin Accounting and for $50 per year they can get this payroll program. Does anyone have any experience with this company.

This program is downloadable and used "in-house"
    Last edited by BOB W; 11-06-2009, 02:40 PM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

I've used Medlin for a number of years and generally like it. It's very user friendly and supports unlimited clients. You can also download it for free first and it is fully functional, but the checks and stubs will print a message that is is an unregistered version until you buy it. Each year the update is $50 and you can use blank check stock with the MICR add on for a one time fee of $48. I also bought the AP program and it integrates with the payroll. This is good for printing checks for the client for their payroll liabilities.

It does have a few limitations however. I live in Indiana and we have 92 counties with local taxes. Most counties around me have the same tax rate but Medlin only allows for I think 5 local tax deduction fields. Some of my employers have employees in multiple counties and I have to use the memo line on the employee information to keep it straight and the checks just say "local" for the deduction. This is a bit of a hassle at the end of year as the Indiana WH3 requires a breakout of taxes withheld by county.

I haven't gotten the update for this year yet but I think they added a couple more income and deduction fields. No direct deposit capability other than printing off an ACH form to take to the bank. I've never used this as we have a few employers who want direct deposit and use Quick Books payroll for them. Quick Books is good but I would rather use Medlin for the smaller clients who just want checks printed for 2 or 3 employees each pay period.

One thing I don't really like about Medlin though is after you print the W2 forms and then download the latest tax tables you can't go back and reprint W2's with the proper date for the year (for example, if you need to reprint a W2 from 2007, the printed copy will say 2008 with 2007 data). The data will still be for 2007 but the W2 lists the current year so I make sure to not give out my only copy like I accidentially did once and then had to get out the old typewriter when the client needed yet another copy later in the year. Make sure all your W2 forms are printed and copies made before downloading the update after the first of the new year.
    Last edited by jeff501; 11-06-2009, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Thank for your reply. I downloaded the trial version and tried it out...Seems OK. I just need it for the check calculation and stub, nothing else. This will work for my clients. I will send them the URL and some general instruction.

Thanks again Jeff............
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

NYS YTD Paychecks

Bob - where did you hear this from?

I don't disbelieve you - but how is NYS going to monitor this and literally force employers to comply?
        Most of my business clients are not on an ADP/Paychex system - it's coming directly from the employer business checking account (manual checks). Small business clients will absolutely go beserk.
        Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Sam> I know I read it and I thought it was from NYS update subscription. I have searched for over 2 hours and I can't find it. It is driving me crazy. I'll keep looking because I know I read it a week+ ago.

Comment

Sam> I found this but it is not exactly what I read. It is from "N/S NCCPAP". It may be possible that item 3 and
            3a were mixed together when I read them and I missed "Railroad" employers needing Y-T-D info on the paystub. But a pay stub will be needed for all others, which is easily accomplished with a dated hand written memo.

"NYS passed section 195 to Article 6 of the NYS Labor Law. Effective 10/26/09 all New York employers must give and receive a written statement from all new employees. This information should be distributed to all members.
            ยง 195. Notice and record-keeping requirements. Every employer shall:
            * 1. notify his employees at the time of hiring of the rate of pay and
            of the regular pay day designated by the employer in accordance with
            section one hundred ninety-one of this article;
            * NB Effective until October 26, 2009
            * 1. notify his or her employees, in writing, at the time of hiring of
            the rate of pay and of the regular pay day designated by the employer in
            accordance with section one hundred ninety-one of this article, and
            obtain a written acknowledgement from each employee of receipt of this
            notice. Such acknowledgement shall conform to any requirements
            established by the commissioner with regard to content and form. For all
            employees who are eligible for overtime compensation as established in
            the commissioner's minimum wage orders or otherwise provided by law or
            regulation, the notice must state the regular hourly rate and overtime
            rate of pay;
            * NB Effective October 26, 2009
            2. notify his employees of any changes in the pay days prior to the
            time of such changes;
            3. furnish each employee with a statement with every payment of wages,
            listing gross wages, deductions and net wages, and upon the request of
            an employee furnish an explanation of how such wages were computed;
            3-a. in addition, every railroad corporation shall furnish each
            employee with a statement with every payment of wages listing accrued
            total earnings and taxes to date and further furnish said employee at
            the same time with a separate listing of his daily wages and how they
            were computed;
            4. establish, maintain and preserve for not less than three years
            payroll records showing the hours worked, gross wages, deductions and
            net wages for each employee.
            5. notify his employees in writing or by publicly posting the
            employer's policy on sick leave, vacation, personal leave, holidays and
            hours.
            6. notify any employee terminated from employment, in writing, of the
            exact date of such termination as well as the exact date of cancellation
            of employee benefits connected with such termination. In no case shall
            notice of such termination be provided more than five working days after
            the date of such termination. Failure to notify an employee of
            cancellation of accident or health insurance subjects an employer to an
            additional penalty pursuant to section two hundred seventeen of this
            chapter."

# # #

Thank you to Ross S. Kass CPA, Jablons, Kass & Company CPAs P.C. for the above information
            Last edited by BOB W; 11-07-2009, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X