Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name On Tax Return

I know this is being picky.

New client brought by last years tax return. Tax returns have been efiled using his middle name. Like John Doe instead of James J. Doe. I'm just wondering if it would cause any problems using his full name instead of just the middle name on the returns? I didn't know that a return would go through efile with just the middle name listed.

Does that make sense?

Name

The return could of been rejected and the other accountant resent the file with the corrected name. The copy of the tax return was printed before the rejection.

This is one possible explaination.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W
      The return could of been rejected and the other accountant resent the file with the corrected name. The copy of the tax return was printed before the rejection.

This is one possible explaination.
      It's also possible that SSA has his name listed in the wrong order. i.e. John James Doe

Comment

Ssn

I believe they only match last name and SSN. You could put Lucifer Skankbottom Doe and have no problem.
        I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

True I had thought about the SSA having it wrong.

Yeah Matt now that you mentioned it I bet they do. A couple of weeks ago I was trying to efile a customer's return. New baby's name kept on coming back incorrect. They are from Mexico originally. To my understanding often the mother's madien name is listed as the middle or sometimes even included as the last name. Well that is what happened the babies last name was a combination of the mother's maiden name and the father's last name. Customer had to call the SSA to find it out. Went through fine after that.

I'll double check with my customer and ask him how it is with the SSA.

Comment

For new clients, I try to get a copy of social security cards for everyone on the retrun, if possible.

Comment

IRS actually only uses what is called a name control - the first 4 characters of the last name for e-filing. If you look at their printed 1040ES and 1040V forms you will see the 4 character name control in the OCR line.

Comment

Name on Return

First Last and SSN must be exactly as on card.
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Not true.
                  I use Drake software and if the name is more than 30 characters it cannot be filed electronically. Instead of using the first name, use the initial only. As someone mentioned the IRS files have to match the first 4 letters of the last name.

A lot of my Hispanic clients have 2 last names.eg Bettencourt Gongalez. In the last name column you type in the full last name. If the first name is Elizabeth then you use the initial E
                  Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

That's a problem I ran into Brian. The field in Taxwise software for the last name wasn't long enough. So there were 3 letters left off the last name.. two last names. It went through though.

Comment

Working...
                    X