X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From IRS on W-4

Here is a link

appears as no reporting is required any longer

I would just make sure to advise employer to obtain updated W-4 forms annually or on any changes throughout the year, from employees.

Sandy

Comment

Absolutely right.

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
      But there is nothing to prevent employer from counseling employee to do the right thing. Sometimes an
      employer actually need to take a paternal interest in his employees in order to maintain the integrity of
      his workforce and thus maintain productivity over the long haul.
      Although you refuse to laugh at my jokes (grin), I am forced to admit that thy holier-than-thou position (double-grin) is holier-than-mine and such nobility simply cannot be ignored.

While we (including me) don't always practice what we preach, the right thing's obviously called for here -- not only for our own interest, but for that of the profession as a whole. We're off the hook and don't have to sign a jurat, but it seems to me there's an implied rule ("If you know, or have reason to know....") in there somewhere. To brush it off pleading "regulations" brings to mind those who fire employees for resisting robbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
        Although you refuse to laugh at my jokes (grin), I am forced to admit that thy holier-than-thou position (double-grin) is holier-than-mine and such nobility simply cannot be ignored.

While we (including me) don't always practice what we preach, the right thing's obviously called for here -- not only for our own interest, but for that of the profession as a whole. We're off the hook and don't have to sign a jurat, but it seems to me there's an implied rule ("If you know, or have reason to know....") in there somewhere. To brush it off pleading "regulations" brings to mind those who fire employees for resisting robbers.
        Bart,
        About 12;55 I was in the process of responding to this, but the lights blinked about half way through and I lost it all. By then it was 1 pm and time to close up and go home.
        Gotta keep our priorities straight, right?

So you 'll know, I actually was LOLling, although not on the floor with all that implies.

Yes, if I were the employer, I would take him aside, put my arm around his shoulder and
        begin by saying "Well, son, it's like this." And then proceed to remind him of his
        responsibilities of child support, how I like employees who do the right thing, tell the truth, etc etc. Then smile and ask, "you know what I'm talking about, right?" Might even
        subtly remind him of current unemployment situation nationwide.
        And then of course remind him to "consult his own tax advisor on how to fill out a W4
        form properly to minimize withholding legally.

On a related note which you mention about robbers, what really irks me are those robbers who walk into a bank and don't even have the common courtesy to show the gun; just announce that they have a gun.
        Used to the bank would honor such an employee who had common sense not to give them the money.
        Last edited by ChEAr$; 11-05-2009, 04:20 PM.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Thanks.

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          Bart,
          About 12;55 I was in the process of responding to this, but the lights blinked about half way through and I lost it all. By then it was 1 pm and time to close up and go home.
          Gotta keep our priorities straight, right?
          Right.

My apologies for snappin' at you a ways back there -- it takes me a while to stop poutin'.

Comment

Speaking of bank robbers, I saw saw an interesting analogy recently (well, interesting to me anyhow). It's no longer fashionable to call someone who breaks the law by enteriig the country without permission an "illegal alien" and we're now expected to call them "undocumented workers". So would it follow that if someone breaks the law by entering a bank and robbing it, should we simpy refer to them as having made an "undocumented withdrawal"?
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
              Speaking of bank robbers, I saw saw an interesting analogy recently (well, interesting to me anyhow). It's no longer fashionable to call someone who breaks the law by enteriig the country without permission an "illegal alien" and we're now expected to call them "undocumented workers". So would it follow that if someone breaks the law by entering a bank and robbing it, should we simpy refer to them as having made an "undocumented withdrawal"?
              I can see it now, on 6 O'clock news. Chief of police at the microphone telling how

"The alleged perpetrator entered the bank, stood in line and when his turn came, he
              announced that he was making an unauthorized withdrawal."

Yesterday local police announced an arrest of a man from Newnan (about 70 miles away)
              who came down and robbed two Columbus banks, reasoning that being from out of town he had a better chance of not being recognized. So he drove his own car, and someone
              looked at wrote down a partial tax number, coupled with a description of the getaway
              vehicle was enough to find him.
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                It's no longer fashionable to call someone who breaks the law by enteriig the country without permission an "illegal alien" and we're now expected to call them "undocumented workers".
                Which is frequently a lie. Many of them have more documents than you do. They're just forgeries.

Comment

No reason for concern here. Give the PC crowd enough time and they'll come up with a new word for that as well - maybe "unproperly documented worker". Call them anything other than simply what they are - illegal aliens.
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                  X