First-Time Homebuyer Credit EXTENSION?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First-Time Homebuyer Credit EXTENSION?

So it looks like talks are in about extending the FTHB credit into next year and possibly extending the credit to repeat homebuyers who have owned their home for at least 5 yrs.

Here's a link to the story I read:

~maria
    Maria R., CRTP
    Los Angeles, CA
    Software Used: ProSeries since 2008

I heard it

this morning too. I looked at my wife and said "we're screwed again - December is year #4 for us"

ATG
    "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
    Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Comment

They can't extend the credit. The 2009 Form 1040 instructions are already out, and it says the credit does not apply to homes purchased after November 30, 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
        They can't extend the credit. The 2009 Form 1040 instructions are already out, and it says the credit does not apply to homes purchased after November 30, 2009.
        so they can't just revise the 1040 instructions?
        Maria R., CRTP
        Los Angeles, CA

Comment

Originally posted by MariaR08 View Post
          The Service will do whatever Congress tells them to do.

Comment

The could...but they won't.

Did you know the 2007 instructions to Form 1040 are still wrong? They still haven't revised them for new law that was signed into law after the release of the instructions and forms. Instead, IRS issued a separate publication informing the public about the changes that should be made to the instruction booklet. If you didn’t read about the new publication and changes that should be made to the 2007 instructions from some private publishing company (such as TheTaxBook), you would not know about it.
            Last edited by Bees Knees; 10-30-2009, 07:24 AM.

Comment

So now, being able to move homes, I've always eyed my neighbors house. I wonder if he like mine. Maybe we can do a home trade and both get our homebuyer credit. Don't really need to hire a mover or anything, just carry it across the street. I still don't have to provide a HUD-1 right?

Comment

David1980, don't count on it...by the time the sun sets at the end of the day, you'll have to provide the HUD stmt.
                Dave, EA

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
                  So now, being able to move homes, I've always eyed my neighbors house. I wonder if he like mine. Maybe we can do a home trade and both get our homebuyer credit. Don't really need to hire a mover or anything, just carry it across the street. I still don't have to provide a HUD-1 right?
                  Don't even think about moving across the street. I did that one time when I bought a condo in the same complex I was living in. Never worked so hard in my life! It started out as "this chair isn't that heavy, I'll just carry it over". A couple of days later I felt like I needed hernia surgery.
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

So it looks like it passed today! If I'm reading correctly it's just awaiting the President's signature!
                    Maria R., CRTP
                    Los Angeles, CA

Comment

Oh, for joy

So it looks like it passed today! If I'm reading correctly it's just awaiting the President's signature!
                      More money this country doesn't have spent helping people buy houses they either would have bought anyway or couldn't afford to begin with. Can't wait to have to pay off the tab for this down the road.

ATG
                      "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
                      Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Comment

Is the $6,500 credit retroactive for non first-time buyers? Has anyone heard?

Comment

I don't know but I've been *trying* to follow this closely because I have a couple clients asking about it.

~maria
                          Maria R., CRTP
                          Los Angeles, CA

Comment

Originally posted by JCH View Post
                            Is the $6,500 credit retroactive for non first-time buyers? Has anyone heard?
                            Per the wording in the current bill the new credit is created on the date our fearless leader signs the legislation.

Comment

I believe Obama signed the new bill today.
                              Maria R., CRTP
                              Los Angeles, CA

Comment

Working...
                              X