Victim of Ponzi Scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Victim of Ponzi Scheme

Something interesting for your spare time. I have a long time client that is a victim of a ponzi scheme.She had been getting 1099 INT forms each year for the past 10 or 12 years for 20% interest earned on her investment with Waterford Funding LLC.
    Investers were promised great returns, Waterford was making bridge loans to companies that could not get first mortgages on business property until they could improve their credit rating.
    I am studing my NATP material on the subject and will file amended returns to carry back the loss and forward for the remaining loss. Unfortunately, I was not advised of the loss until yesterday after the 5 year carryback rule expired on 10-15-09.
    If you want to feel better about your day, Google Watreford Funding LLC and be happy you are not my client. Have a good one Bob

Recent Ruling

Bob, there is something very recent on Madoff-type schemes, but I can't help you find it.
    Don't know whether I read it on the NATP bulletin or something else. Seems like the treatment was more favorable to taxpayers than what we might expect.

Comment

Thanks Edsel

Will provide more information as I get into the amended returns.Do not have all the info as yet. Thought folks would like to see how good they feel that they were not invested with Waterford Funding.

Comment

Working...
      X