Has anyone heard of a Seiche? The Tsunami post reminded of these situations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone heard of a Seiche? The Tsunami post reminded of these situations

Oops! This was meant for another board unrelated to taxation. I decided to leave it since I can't delete the title. Maybe someone will find it an interesting diversion from tax discussion. LOL

It's kinda a mini-tidal wave. I remember reading about one that hit Chicago in 1954, and was caught in one in Michigan City at a later date.

Here's a link to a description of the Chicago situation. I had remembered more reported drownings and the indications are there was exaggerations.

Once on St Johns on a cruise we also experienced a rogue wave. It came up out of nowwhere washing everyones beach belongings, cameras, etc. away. My wife had just went to the washroom, when she returned it was all over...it was that fast.
    Last edited by Zee; 10-21-2009, 09:52 PM.

Not only have I heard of it, I have seen one in Chicago. The water raises and falls just like a big genital wave in a bath tub. If you are not paying attention it can catch one by surprise. It is caused in Lake Michigan because of the shape of the lake and that south end of the lake does not drain water very quickly.

Comment

WHAT on earth is a genital wave?

Something I should know about?
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

It's not to be confused with a bifurcation.

Comment

Genital wave

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post

Sounds like an X-rated wave.

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post

The water level drops and then raises in a matter of a half an hour or more, so unless you are looking for it you might not realize the water is raising until it is too late.

This is different from rouge waves in storms, and these type of waves also occur on Lake Michigan and sink big ships.

Ted Turner, the skipper who lost and American Cup, learned that hard way that Lake Michigan is not little inland lake. He lost the Mackinac race twice, once after buying the boat that beat him.

Comment

Working...
            X