Foreign tax client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign tax client

English born client worked in US for several years during adult years. Had a social security number, paid taxes and worked at a US company that had a 401(k) program. She moved back to England a couple years ago. Now she has been informed that she must give up her S/S# by end of 2009 and must cash in her 401(k). She is only 55 and not eligible for 59-1/2 penalty exemption. Plus, how does she file taxes if she has no S/S#? Is she not eligible to roll over her 401(k) to an IRA? She does not want to pay the penalty.
    Thanks much for the help.
    Larry

She still has that SS number, once issued it's good for life. She should be able to roll the 401K over to an IRA like anyone. Did/Does she have a green card or was she on a work visa?
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

thanks for your reply Dan

Yes, she had a green card for (as I understand it) for about 15 years. I will have to call her to find out what kind of S/S Admin notice she received "revoking" her S/S#. I'll post the answer. Trying to find the answer to my question, I see the 1040NR is to be filled out. I guess she'll get a 1099R IF she cashes in the 401 but she would prefer to roll it over to an IRA. And I would think there's an exception to the penalty of early withdrawal IF it is mandatory. This type of return/questions are a little bit beyond my skill level, so I REALLY appreciate your help!!
      Larry

Comment

No problem

Larry, I believe your client should be O.K.

For her social security #, continue to use the same one she has been using. Once used, this serves as a sort of "address" in the IRS data retention system. I believe that's all the IRS cares about -- they're not into ICE and SS retirement and all the other functions that come with a SS #.

I would think any financial institution in the U.S. will be happy to take this Brit's rollover money. The rollover rules might even allow an import/export bank to administer her account, in which case she can keep her 401(k) in pounds, Euros, Marks, Guilders, or any other currency.

Check with your nearest V Alexander office - they are an import/export bank, and I'll bet they have an office in Minneapolis/St Paul area.

Comment

Thanks Nashville --

I'll do just that. I really appreciate the help from this board!!!!!!
          Larry

Comment

Working...
          X