Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTHBC Update

Tue Oct 20, 2:09 am ET
    (Reuters) – The U.S. Internal Revenue Service is probing more than 100,000 doubtful claims of a tax credit meant for first-time home buyers, the Wall Street Journal reported on its website on Tuesday.

The $8,000 tax credit for first-time home buyers under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act was passed in February to help prod the U.S. economy back to life.

Lawmakers have expressed concern that significant number of claims might turn out to be fraudulent, the paper said.

The IRS was investigating 167 "criminal schemes" involving the credit, according to the House Ways and Means oversight subcommittee, the paper said.

The IRS was not available to comment.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

FTHBC Update

Well, Duh! What did they expect?
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

Expect a knock...

... at you doors, preparers! Surely this is all our fault!
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

I vaugly remember

saying (along with about 99% of th rest of you) that this was going to be a bigger fraud area than then EIC has been. Turns out, we all might have been right. I'm shocked.

ATG
        "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
        Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Comment

Working...
        X