Self employed Long term care insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self employed Long term care insurance?

I have been studying TTB message board, and as usual, experienced another "epiphany" regarding Self Employed Health Insurance.

As a self employed person who is now paying my own COBRA (expensive) health insurance, I can lump my long-term care insurance into that deduction? Did I read that right?

My corp makes the payments for cobra and includes it in my W2. Now, I will set it up so that it does the same for my LTC insurance!

Always learning...
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Don't Think So

Don't think Long-Term Care premiums is a qualified medical expense for deducting as Self-Employed Medical Insurance.

However, I think I am correct that if you establish a Medical Savings Account, and pay the LTC insurance out of the MSA, that would be a valid deduction in the "Adjustments" section of the 1040, and result in the same tax savings.

Comment

let me find the link...

I better read it again.. I'll get back to you when and if I find it, so I can eat crow with the proper utensils!

=)
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

see"1040 Schedule C long term care insurance

Let's jump this discussion back to "1040 Schedule C long term care insurance" originally posted by Jon....

Originally posted by Possi View Post
        I better read it again.. I'll get back to you when and if I find it, so I can eat crow with the proper utensils!

=)

Comment

Limits

Don't forget to take into account the appropriate limits on the deductible amount of LTC premiums. If self-employed, it's deductible. I think that includes partners, but don't know about shareholder employees of an s-corp.

Comment

will do

I'll check on it before I start the process of paying it through the corp and including it in my W2.
            Thanks for the information!

Comment

Originally posted by Possi View Post
              I'll check on it before I start the process of paying it through the corp and including it in my W2.
              Thanks for the information!
              What did you decide?

Comment

All on Corp

I pay it all through the corp, health insurance and LTCare insurance, and include it in Bx 1 wages.

Comment

Working...
                X