Just lost a client.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just lost a client.....

Earlier this week, I posted a question about mileage and meal deductions for a new client. HRB allowed the deduction in prior years, but I determined that the client was really just commuting to work and not entitled to any deduction. Thanks to all who responded to my post and helped affirm my conclusion. Anyway, I called the client last night and told him that he could not deduct the mileage and meals on his return. I politely said I could complete the return without the deductions (the correct way); or if he did not agree with me, I would return his information to him and he could seek a second opinion on the matter. He chose the latter.

I know I did the right thing and am better off without a client like this, but it bugs me that he will probably go right back to HRB and they will allow the deduction without question. If they will not, I'm sure he will find someone who will.

I just needed to vent about this to others who would understand my frustration. Now back to work.

Lost client

I can relate to your frustration. Yesterday I sent one of my clients packing. Dont ever show your face in my office again. She had the nerve to ask if it is ok to report less income to get a bigger refund. That was only part of the episode. Most of the info she provided came from my office ceiling.Boy did I feel good.

Here's to you
    Good Job

West

Comment

You both did the right thing! If a taxpayer wants to cheat they should do their own taxes and not expect preparers to cheat for them.

Comment

right thing

I agree with you all. If the IRS ever questioned them about their return they will probably say you told them to do this. We don't need to get into this kind of trouble. I would have trouble sleeping at night if the returns I prepare are not done the correct way.
        Bill

Comment

I ask myself

I have a simple test I always use with clients like these. I ask myself, What would Jack Bauer do?

Comment

Originally posted by KBTS
            Earlier this week, I posted a question about mileage and meal deductions for a new client. HRB allowed the deduction in prior years, but I determined that the client was really just commuting to work and not entitled to any deduction. Thanks to all who responded to my post and helped affirm my conclusion. Anyway, I called the client last night and told him that he could not deduct the mileage and meals on his return. I politely said I could complete the return without the deductions (the correct way); or if he did not agree with me, I would return his information to him and he could seek a second opinion on the matter. He chose the latter.

I know I did the right thing and am better off without a client like this, but it bugs me that he will probably go right back to HRB and they will allow the deduction without question. If they will not, I'm sure he will find someone who will.

I just needed to vent about this to others who would understand my frustration. Now back to work.
            It's frustrating knowing that it will be easy for the client to find someone to take the deductions and they'll probably get away with it. But not always.

I had clients years ago who had huge noncash deductions for expensive clothing. They gave me the story about moving, they were both professionals and had to have expensive clothes, and they both lost a whole bunch of weight and had to completely replace their wardrobes. It sounded feasible so I reported the deduction.

The next year they came in with another huge list of clothing given away, but they looked about the same and they hadn't moved. I wouldn't take the deduction and they went somewhere else.

Their new preparer took the deduction for a couple of years. Then they contacted our office again for copies of prior years returns because - you guessed it - they got audited.

Don't fret for doing the right thing. The alternative could be explaining to a revenue agent why you took deductions you had every reason to believe were not legitimate.

Comment

Similar Episode

"Minister of Music" at a local church was a former client of mine and directed the music service every Sunday about 5 miles from where I live. Basically a good and decent guy, who told me he needed to deduct his musical equipment which was in the church.

I had been in the church a few times and knew for a fact the equipment was his at one time. In our younger and wilder days this guy would play in local honky tonks with me on weekend nights. I told him there should be an agreement or some device which actually transferred ownership to the church, and he would have a deduction. "No problem" he says, because the stuff had been in the church building for years and would "never leave."

This guy relocates a few years ago to Colorado and, you guessed it, takes all of the equipment with him that he had "given" to the church. I was tempted to file an amended return and forge his signature.

With respect to these great actors who lobby for stretching deductions, like Grandma says: "Once is a Mistake -- Twice is a Fool."

Comment

Rookie Member

You really haven't lost a client, but a hairball looking for some easy money. See how quickly that person turns on you when the deductions surface during an exam.
                Personally, I would rather eat a Bug.

Comment

Lost your Sheep

Bo Peep welcome to the Board!

We talk about tough tax topics, tax software, and most of all
                  we HAVE FUN!

Come back and post with us often!

Ron Jordan, Manchester, TN

Comment

Originally posted by KBTS
                    Well since you seem to think that HRB is full of thieves and incompetants I am sure he won't have to go past his previous preparer. Sorry but I find your comments irresponsible and a bit offensive. Did it ever occur to you that maybe he was lying? No your hatred of HRB is fueling your comments.

Comment

Originally posted by jainen
                      I have a simple test I always use with clients like these. I ask myself, What would Jack Bauer do?
                      Gee why not ask Tinker Bell?

Comment

Snag

Snag I almost forgot you were a fellow picker. We still need to get together some day.

I think I can top them all. I had a client come in JUST THIS MORNING who has been my client for years.

His wife died in the first part of 2005 and he re-married toward the end of 2005.
                        Well he tried every way he could to convince me that he should be able to claim both his dead wife and his present wife.

I couldn't kick him out of my office,... I was laughing too hard.
                        I guess he finally saw the humor in it too so he also started laughing.

The only one who didn't think it was funny was his present wife.
                        ken

Comment

Hrb

Originally posted by Unregistered
                          Well since you seem to think that HRB is full of thieves and incompetants I am sure he won't have to go past his previous preparer. Sorry but I find your comments irresponsible and a bit offensive. Did it ever occur to you that maybe he was lying? No your hatred of HRB is fueling your comments.
                          I'm not sure who made the comment, but just let me say this. My wife took the Block tax course and I think they have a great course. The PEOPLE who work for Block are for the most part very good preparers.

I think most people who have problems, have them with the company itsself and not the people working for the company.

Block to me is like just about any other large corporation. They will try to wring any and all they can out of the little people, the ones who mostly support them. They dont give a hoot about the people whether they be poor or what their situation is. Its all about making more money for the company.

I have a lot of common ordinary people I work for and if someone seems down and out, I generally adjust my prices for them. I really doubt that Block does that.
                          ken

Comment

Lost client

If HRB was doing like he wanted, why did he bother coming to you this year? Probably a preparer at HRB who told him no on those deductions so he left for your office. There are reputable preparers at the national chains, and, there are bad ones who have their own office. I hate the advertising gimmicks that HRB and JH use, but their tax work is no better nor worse overall than what exists in the tax prep industry. He'll keep looking for someone who will accomodate his deductions and it won't have to be at one of the big national tax offices. Or more likely, he'll join the many DIY who put it in TurboT to get the refund they want.
                            "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
                              I have a lot of common ordinary people I work for and if someone seems down and out, I generally adjust my prices for them. I really doubt that Block does that.
                              Not entirely true. However I don't see your actions as being noble, even though you do. My services are valued based upon what I deliver, NOT HOW MUCH YOU CAN PAY.

I have never understood this idea that wages/fees/etc should be based only upon what someone else can pay. Just bizarre.

As for HRB, maybe you and they should just become charitble organazations? Hmm, you don't like that idea I bet.

Comment

Working...
                              X