Inherited IRA from husband RMD age 73

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inherited IRA from husband RMD age 73

Husband died 6-1-2008, age 73, and was taking mandatory withdrawal. Wife age 65 would like to leave full amount in husbands IRA or transfer to hers so that RMD can stop.Page 13-24 1040 Edtion seems to explain what to do, however I am still not sure spouse can stop her husbands RMD. Your thoughts will be appreciated. Bob

Originally posted by Robert Ellsworth View Post
    Husband died 6-1-2008, age 73, and was taking mandatory withdrawal. Wife age 65 would like to leave full amount in husbands IRA or transfer to hers so that RMD can stop.Page 13-24 1040 Edtion seems to explain what to do, however I am still not sure spouse can stop her husbands RMD. Your thoughts will be appreciated. Bob
    First a question. Yous says this was an "inherited" IRA. Are you sure on this point?
    Or was wife the beneficiary of it?
    If inherited, then there was no beneficiary named, and I doubt any custodian would have
    allowed this, unless maybe the beneficiary had been a former spouse, or other person
    who is now dead, and therefore with no beneficiary the IRA would indeed empty into
    the estate.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Sorry Wrong Terminalogy

Wife was the beneficiary of the husbands IRA. The question is can she avoid continuing her husbands RMD due to her younger age? Thanks Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Ellsworth View Post
        Wife was the beneficiary of the husbands IRA. The question is can she avoid continuing her husbands RMD due to her younger age? Thanks Bob
        I don't see anything in publication 590 which addresses this particular question.
        So I would go with the fact that since she is spousal beneficiary, she may treat it as her
        own and roll it over into hers.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Thanks Harlin

My thought also. The catch is does any beneficiary, spouse or otherwise need to continue the original IRA owners continued RMD. I would doubt it.Bene could be a teenage boy or girl for example. Thanks for your thoughts.Bob

Comment

Working...
          X