A Tiring Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a couple

I had a few on extension (my choice) I gave some of them a discount, because, they would have been in on time. I did have a couple of them that never called me to set up a time to get the returns done, so I sent them a letter saying, if they didn't contact me but a certain date I woould assume they made other arrangements. As I write this I notice it's only Oct 9, I could hear the phone ring most likely Sunday afternoon with one them in a panic, I will probably tell them they are too late. I really like to done by April 15.

Comment

same situation

Last month I sent out post cards to the ones who hadn't been in yet. I have 2 or 3 that I haven't heard from yet. Not calling them either.

I have a life and other things to do. I won't be available on Wednesday either.
      My priorities don't include babysitting them.

But I am a happier person when I don't stress over other people's lack of concern.

Linda

Comment

I've got about 6 that need to be picked up. They are mostly completed just dragging on bringing me a few other pieces of information. Most of the time they kick it in gear when you tell them they will have to pay a late filing penalty.

I have had several that would make an appointments and then not come. Stand me up twice shame on you stand me up three times shame on me. After they miss an appointment twice I won't make another one. I just tell them to call before they come by and maybe they can catch me in the office.

I was watching a this week webinar about how you need to make sure your customers know how valuable you and your time is. That is one thing that I have been guilty of not doing in the past.

I had one guy calling me to do bookkeeping for him a few weeks ago. Set up appointments five times... yes five times. He travels for his business. Called about an hour after the appointment wanting to reschedule on the last one. Well I let it go direct to voice mail. He called about 8 more times. I did not return his phone call. Not worth my time. He hasn't called again. There is no reason for someone to do that.

Comment

Help me help you

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I actually emailed this funny video to a client once. He's been on time ever since

Comment

Extensions

I charge extra for extensions.
            Extensions done by 6/30 = + $50
            Extensions done in July and August = + $60
            All remaining extensions done by Oct 15 = + $100

I put this in my annual letter and I still have some dragging in.
            Jiggers, EA

Comment

Surcharge

For the last couple of years, I've added a 25% late submission surcharge to the bill for those who keep dragging their toes.

The same clients still show up late with their information - but at least I have more money in the bank. Still irritates me, but makes the situation a bit more palatable.

Comment

Coming in late on this. I am working on tax returns as we speak. I did something I never thought I would dare to do. I early summer I looked at my personal and CPE schedule and decided that I need to have all extension info in by 8/15. if the clients want to be sure that the return is done by 10/15.

Some did, some didn't (what a surprise) but I was fairly able to leave the burden with them instead of driving myself crazy. I know all about getting mad a clients for not showing up for an appointment but guess what: I learned to respect myself and I am not making any special appointments anymore. They will find the time and they do.

Comment

Totally agree with Gretel. I sent letters in May to extenders and requested info by 08/15. Lots of people complied. Some didn't. This season was a lot less hectic than past years. Agree that it's better to put the stress on the client to have their paperwork together sooner than the last minute.

Comment

I had

a new client call me a couple weeks ago. He had done his extension but he needed the return done and our first mutually convenient time to crank out the return was the afternoon of Sunday 10/11. I did that one. If he wants to do the same thing next year I'm fine with it. This took about an hour to do. He could not itemize and he and his wife had no children nor any other deductions or credits except those on three K1s for family businesses. Those plus his wifes job as a cook in the deli of a grocery store were their only income. The reason he was late is that the K1s keep getting changed.

I also had three prior year clients ask to do extensions this year. Since they wanted me to do the extensions I charged them$100 but applied all of it to the balance for the returns. I do this so they will be more likely to actually have me do the returns instead of making other arrangements. I did two of these in August and one in September. I did place one reminder call to each in August and I called the September one again because she is a new widow whose husband used to handle the taxes and this is all still very new to her.

Comment

Working...
                    X