New NYS Legislation for Tax Preparers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New NYS Legislation for Tax Preparers

If you prepare even ONE tax return for a NY client - I suggest you read the information on the following link.
    NYS now requires all tax preparers, except those already NYS licensed as CPAs and Attorneys (and PAs), to register and pay a registration fee.

Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Just a point to be made. But, I don't think I am under the jurisdiction of NY state. I am subject to the laws of my state, Texas. True?
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Nys Prparers

In reading the memo you have to prepare at least 10 NY state returns to be forced to register.

Comment

Exam involved?

Is there a exam involved? How much is the registration fee?

Comment

New NYS Legislation

There's no exam involved for NYS.
          The registration fee is $ 100 per year, and must be done online.
          The first post has the link for the pertinent information.

Comment

While I am not a NY preparer, I would think that being an EA would superscede any NY law.

Comment

NYS Legislation for Tax Preparers

Taken from NYS's notice:

Registration requirements
              Each tax return preparer, as defined above, who will prepare at least one return in a
              calendar year must register electronically with the Tax Department for that calendar year.

Is that clear enough?

Comment

The only professional exceptions are NY CPAs and NY Lawyers. If a CPA is based in NJ he/she must cough up the $100 bucks. EAs are not recognized as a NYS licensed profession. I am a NY EA and I have to pay.

It is all about money> money> money..........................10,000 X $100= 1 million dollars, and there are probably more than 10,000 preparers in NYS (excluding CPAs and Lawyers).

NJ has a simular law but there is no $ fee.

For what it is worth, if they catch you being unregistered you have 90 days to pay the $100 along with your registration and any penalties will be abated. But keep in mind, once registered your fee is required every year that you prepare a NY tax return.
                Last edited by BOB W; 10-03-2009, 08:37 PM.
                This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

It's not the principle, it's the money.

While I am not a NY preparer, I would think that being an EA would supersede any NY law.
                  Don't try to over-think this one. It's a revenue driven regulation. NY has a major budget shortfall. We need your cash. Just be grateful that all of the original proposals ($10 fee for paper returns, sales tax on tax preparation services, etc.) didn't pass.

Comment

Originally posted by DonPriebe View Post
                    Don't try to over-think this one. It's a revenue driven regulation. NY has a major budget shortfall. We need your cash. Just be grateful that all of the original proposals ($10 fee for paper returns, sales tax on tax preparation services, etc.) didn't pass.
                    Don> don't forget about the mobility tax that did pass for us in southeastern NY.

It is a surtax on all NY based payroll of .0034 on each gross paycheck> that the employer has to pay. An employer that has a $500,000 annual payroll pays $1,700 with this surtax.
                    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

However Electronic Returns

If we are EA's or CPA's out of State (outside NY) and electronically filing returns, even at $10 per return would be cheaper than paying the $100 for most of us. Or did I miss the part about Electronic Filing? Is there an exemption for Electronic Filing?

I only prepare about 3-4 NY returns per year, way under 10 returns, and most are Part Year or Non-Resident. I have one Full Year Resident which in 2009 migrated to Calif - all other's are non-resident returns only because of owning rental real estate or an internship part time job in New York.

So now I have to have to register pay $100 - and then figure out a way to charge that fee to my client?

Then what if I register and pay the fee to NY and that Calendar Year - I prepare NO New York returns?

Sandy

Comment

Sandy> Like I said before,,, it is all about money. If you prepared no NY returns all I can say is THANKS for your contribution to NYS. Sorry for being so nasty. LOL..........

No exemptions for ELF.

Tack on $25 to each NYS return you do. If you only do 3 returns you eat the other $25.
                        Last edited by BOB W; 10-03-2009, 09:11 PM.

Comment

I know

Bob and Uncle Sam
                          I know it is all about money, but how many of us prepare out of state returns due to part year or non residents - Not resident returns

So if all states implement this, we will soon have to raise fees on all of our clients for the additional.

I prepare a lot of out of state returns due to clients migrating to another state and then retain them - but each state is probably 1 return here and 2 returns there for those states.

If I have only 1 NY return to prepare it still costs me $100 so I have to charge that client $100 - if I have 4 returns then I can spread it out and charge each client $25 - but I didn't make anything on the preparation - What about the years that I don't prepare any NY returns and I still have to Register?

NY is UNREASONABLE!

Sandy

Comment

Yup, they are................... I guess those completed NY returns need to be sent to a NY preparer to sign and file ...???
                            Last edited by BOB W; 10-03-2009, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I thought about that

I did think about that, but then we have to pay you - but I guess I would rather see it go in your pocket instead of NY

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                              X