Limit For This Year On Ira?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limit For This Year On Ira?

My bank told me and my husband we both each can contribute to IRA for $4500, which makes $9000 . But when we put it on the return the limit says only $4500.

Is this correct? Is it just for one person to contribute or just the $4500? I'm a little confused in what to do about it. Thank you.

Limits

Are you using Turbo Tax?

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T
      Are you using Turbo Tax?

Sandy
      No Drake sofeware.

Comment

Are one of you covered by a retirement plan? If for instance the husband is covered at a job and his income is high enough the IRA deduction will be limited. The spouse would possibly still qualify for a deductible IRA.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas
          Are one of you covered by a retirement plan? If for instance the husband is covered at a job and his income is high enough the IRA deduction will be limited. The spouse would possibly still qualify for a deductible IRA.
          No neither has a retirement plan 401-k nor a IRA. They were just starting it with an IRA in the bank.

Comment

Software

I know within my software there is a box to check if covered by a retirement plan. I do not know how Drake works, but could you have inadvertently marked one of them as being covered when they are not?

Matt
            I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Sova
              I know within my software there is a box to check if covered by a retirement plan. I do not know how Drake works, but could you have inadvertently marked one of them as being covered when they are not?

Matt
              I can't seem to find it on Drake anywhere to mark it, guess call software or anyone that
              has Drake let me know. Thanks alot!

Comment

Ira contributions

I use Drake software and I can't seem to understand why you cannot make both contributions if both of you are over 50 and not contributing to a retirement plan.
                Go to screen 4 and enter 4500 for each one of you.

Check the result and let me know
                Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Originally posted by BRIAN
                  I use Drake software and I can't seem to understand why you cannot make both contributions if both of you are over 50 and not contributing to a retirement plan.
                  Go to screen 4 and enter 4500 for each one of you.

Check the result and let me know
                  Thank you Mr. West. I have been going to screen Adjustment form 8606 putting the whole contribution for 2005 on it. Thank you for your great help there on this matter for me. Bravo to you!!!

Comment

Hey, that's why we have this board

good luck
                    Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Working...
                    X