Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ea Cpe

Question:

If an EA takes a Master's level taxation course (Tax Research) does this count towards the EA's CPE requirements for the year? If so, how many hours? The course if 4.5 semester hours, but of course it's 11 weeks long, with any average of 3-5 hours of work each week.

Anyone have any contacts at the IRS for asking this question or any cites for backing up a yes answer?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
    Question:

If an EA takes a Master's level taxation course (Tax Research) does this count towards the EA's CPE requirements for the year? If so, how many hours? The course if 4.5 semester hours, but of course it's 11 weeks long, with any average of 3-5 hours of work each week.

Anyone have any contacts at the IRS for asking this question or any cites for backing up a yes answer?

Thanks in advance!
    Clearly it meets the circular 230 requirements for helping one become proficient in
    representing clients before the IRS and thus qualifies for credit.

The question, however, is how much credit. And I don't know. A call to the IRS
    OPR will help resolve this. Somewhere on IRS website is their phone number.
    Ah, here it is: Phone Number: (202) 927-3397
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

thanks

Harlan! U R the best.

Comment

Colleague

I haven't looked into this, but a colleague has been taking tax courses at a local college the past two or three years. She discovered that each three-hour course that met 15 times earned her 45 CPEs. I believe the college certified that for her. Try the IRS and the college offering the course.

Comment

Wowwwwww!!!!!

Originally posted by Lion View Post
          I haven't looked into this, but a colleague has been taking tax courses at a local college the past two or three years. She discovered that each three-hour course that met 15 times earned her 45 CPEs. I believe the college certified that for her. Try the IRS and the college offering the course.
          If that's the case then I will have taken almost all of my CPE for the full 3 year period just this year by taking 2 courses that meet 11 times for 3 hours each. I'll just have to take my ethics courses. I will have to check on this.

Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Check on it first

Check it out with the OPR and the college. However, don't forget that you need a minimum of 16 per year with 2 ethics and even more per year for most professional organizations. Can't just do 72 one year and golf for the next two years!

Comment

About 4 years ago, I spoke with the group that was handling EA renewal forms. I was advised that college courses qualify for 15 times the number of semester hours.

LT
              Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

don't i wish!

Originally posted by Lion View Post
                Check it out with the OPR and the college. However, don't forget that you need a minimum of 16 per year with 2 ethics and even more per year for most professional organizations. Can't just do 72 one year and golf for the next two years!
                although I haven't hit a golf ball this calendar year, and I live on a golf course. bought a new Harley last year and a boat the summer before. guess you can't have too many hobbies, at least not while you still have to work a few days a week to pay for 'em.

Comment

Working...
                X