Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Dependent need to file her own tax return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Dependent need to file her own tax return?

I think I have this correct. Dependent (child/single) earned $9323 in box 1 W-2 wages so she will need to file her own tax return but can remain a dependent on parents tax return if of course parents qualify as providing for their child. Is there any other options? If the child paid her own 1098-T (college tuition), I assume she can use these potential credits on her tax return, correct?

Filing

Yes, the child has to file. I will assume the W-2 income is virtually all of her income.
    If the child provided over half of her support then she claims her own exemption and she claims the college tuition payments regardless of who paid them.

If the child did not provide over half of her support the parents claim get to choose whether they claim the exemption and the tuition payments (again it does not matter who paid the tuition) or the child claims the tuition (in this case no one claims the child's exemption).

Comment

Almost right

I think I have this correct. Dependent (child/single) earned $9323 in box 1 W-2 wages so she will need to file her own tax return but can remain a dependent on parents tax return if of course parents qualify as providing for their child.
      Assuming child is under 24, unmarried, a full time student, normally living at home ...

Yes she must file her own return because she earns more than the filing requirement [$8,950 if she is NOT a dependent, $5,450 if she IS.]

Yes, her parents may claim her as a dependent if she meets all the requirements as a qualifying child. No, her parents need NOT support her, but she cannot provide over 50% of her own support.

If the child paid her own 1098-T (college tuition), I assume she can use these potential credits on her tax return, correct?
      Yes, she can claim the expenses IF she is NOT a dependent of her parents. No, only her parents can claim the expenses if she IS a dependent.

Comment

KramBergGold correctly stated this

KramBergGold correctly stated that if her parents meet the qualifications to claim her, they may claim her and claim the tuition (Hope and Lifetime Learning credits), or they may choose to forego claiming her dependent exemption (for some high-income parents, they don't care) (and in which case no one gets to claim her exemption!) and allow her to claim her tuition (Hope and Lifetime Learning credits).

What I want to add is that even if the parents do forego claiming her dependent exemption, the parents may still claim a dependent exemption credit for her, at least on a state return in this state (California).

EA in California.

Comment

Working...
        X