Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messenger/Courier Bus: List of Deductions/Expenses

Hello!

I just acquired a client that has begun to establish his Messenger Service business (geared towards the legal industry). For example: he will pick up documents from several attorney offices and go do the filing at the courts, serve people with documents, etc.

I will prepare his personal and business tax return next year. Bus is sole-prop and client is married.

Anywho, I want to make sure I start him off on the right foot with this accounting of business expenses and what can/cannot be written off. I've found several "lists" for like common deductions for realtors and actors...but haven't found something along the lines of a messenger/courier service and the typical expenses associated with that business.

Does anyone have something they might have and would like to share? Any other comments or suggestions are also welcome!

Thanks!

~Maria
    Maria R., CRTP
    Los Angeles, CA
    Software Used: ProSeries since 2008

Messenger/Courier Business Deductions

How about looking at taxi/limousine business expenses or transportation businesses?

I know there's an Market Segment Specialization Program guide on audit guidelines that you can review to see what are considered normal business expenses there.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
      How about looking at taxi/limousine business expenses or transportation businesses?

I know there's an Market Segment Specialization Program guide on audit guidelines that you can review to see what are considered normal business expenses there.
      I didn't think about that, good idea!

Where is this program guide found, are you referring to something on the IRS site?
      Maria R., CRTP
      Los Angeles, CA
      Software Used: ProSeries since 2008

Comment

Originally posted by MariaR08 View Post

Where is this program guide found, are you referring to something on the IRS site?
        I don't see any MSSP that suitable - nevertheless:

It seems to follow §162 which permits all ordinary and necessary expenses. Evidently, there will be much driving which will be covered in §274 and associated regulation. If he qualified for a home office, then look at §280A.

Comment

Originally posted by MariaR08 View Post
          (geared towards the legal industry). For example: he will pick up documents from several attorney offices and go do the filing at the courts
          Disinfectant perhaps?

Comment

Working...
          X