Emails from the IRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emails from the IRS

The IRS still doesn't send emails, right?

My client got the one below:

"Taxpayer ID : [client first name - omitted by Tax Bird] 00000174073547US
    Tax Type Income Tax
    Issue: Unreported/Underreported Income (Fraud Application)

Please review your tax statement on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website (click on the link below)
    Review tax statement for taxpayer id : [client first name - omitted by Tax Bird]-00000174073547US

I advised my client that it was most likely a fake. Does anyone kno wthe background on this? Any idea where these are originating?

One curious fact, though, it seems that the email cannot be forwarded. Do any of you know if it is possible to restrict an email from being forwarded?

Any input would be welcome.

I had a client

get an e-mail from the same "address" about a year ago - S-Corp and the e-mail stated they had an additional refund. It looked legitimate, and went to the President of the company, so she gave it to me. Good thing, it was a phishing expedition. I was able to forward that one though. Maybe they're evolving.
    "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
    Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Comment

I can be wrong here but I remember I read somewhere before that the IRS would not contact a taxpayer with email.

Comment

You probably read it here:

==================Excerpt ======================================
        What to Do

The IRS does not initiate taxpayer contact via unsolicited e-mail or ask for personal identifying or financial information via e-mail. If you receive a suspicious e-mail claiming to come from the IRS, take the following steps:

Do not open any attachments to the e-mail, in case they contain malicious code that will infect your computer.

Do not click on any links, for the same reason. Also, be aware that the links often connect to a phony IRS Web site that appears authentic and then prompts the victim for personal identifiers, bank or credit card account numbers or PINs. The phony Web sites appear legitimate because the appearance and much of the content are directly copied from an actual page on the IRS Web site and then modified by the scammers for their own purposes.

Contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to determine whether the IRS is trying to contact you.
        ================================================== ===================
        Last edited by JohnH; 09-11-2009, 12:00 PM.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

And while you may not be able to forward a certain email, you can always cut and paste
          the body of it into a new email along with certain "from" data in the header.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Another link

or perhaps here:

Is the IRS sending out e-mail notices about unreported/ underreported income?

FE

Comment

I've been getting those emails all this week.

Comment

In general, the IRS prohibits sending email or faxes to Tapayers, but they do accept email or faxed information from taxpayers. This is for security & disclosure reasons. Most contacts are by phone, or letter and the language is often cumbersome because the wording of letters issued on numbered forms cannot be changed. Occasionally, an agent may send an innocuous email to a POA, for example, confirming an appointment. In that case, the email cannot mention the taxpayer's name or provide any information that could identify the taxpayer involved, etc. But, it is highly discouraged since small exceptions could create problems. Auditor's are even advised not to call one taxpayer using another taxpayer's telephone because caller ID would disclose the identity of another.
                Last edited by Zee; 09-11-2009, 07:30 PM.

Comment

forwarded

to IRS - was told in seminar that IRS would NOT email notices like this EVER - there is a LINK in the email do NOT open it!

Comment

That's correct.

Comment

Play it again, Sam

Originally posted by luke View Post
                      to IRS - was told in seminar that IRS would NOT email notices like this EVER - there is a LINK in the email do NOT open it!
                      I believe JohnH and others have pretty well already addressed these issues and more in earlier posts

FE

Comment

Originally posted by luke View Post
                        We were advised the same at a seminar earlier this week.

Comment

Originally posted by TaxBird View Post
                          The IRS still doesn't send emails, right?

My client got the one below:

"Taxpayer ID : [client first name - omitted by Tax Bird] 00000174073547US
                          Tax Type Income Tax
                          Issue: Unreported/Underreported Income (Fraud Application)

Please review your tax statement on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website (click on the link below)
                          Review tax statement for taxpayer id : [client first name - omitted by Tax Bird]-00000174073547US

I advised my client that it was most likely a fake. Does anyone kno wthe background on this? Any idea where these are originating?

One curious fact, though, it seems that the email cannot be forwarded. Do any of you know if it is possible to restrict an email from being forwarded?

Any input would be welcome.
                          See IRS page http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...155682,00.html

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Comment

Working...
                            X