S corp distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S corp distribution

The sole owner of a S-corp has a profit of $20,000 in 2008. But he did not distribute it to himself as dividend. So the $20,000 was still in the S-corp bank account at the end of 2008. How should it be accounted for on the balance sheet? I am thinking about to put it as additional paid-in-capital. Thoughts?

Undistributed previously taxed income

is what it is and leave it there. Retained Earnings....

Comment

Originally posted by JON View Post
      is what it is and leave it there. Retained Earnings....
      Thank you, Jon. The answer came to my mind almost right after I asked the question. I have no idea what I was thinking.
      Last edited by NotEasy; 09-11-2009, 10:02 AM.

Comment

AAA Account M2

The $20,000 will be part of the total income for 2008 shown on line 2 of M2.Line 5 is other deductions which are normally depreciation.AAA is a little confusing until you think it through. It is just as it states, Undistributed Taxable income previously taxed. Other adjustments on line 5 are Sec 179, Contributions, non dedutable expenses.Line 8 of the AAA account will not be the same as Retained Earnings.
        A trial balance should be prepared before any S Corporation is prepared. I know this is difficult unless you also do the accounting. Good Luck Bob

Comment

I agree

with Robert BUT in the real world MANY small Scorp balance sheets do NOT balance and it is sometimes a challenge to prepare a balance sheet that actually balances.

Comment

Working...
          X