No announcement yet.

Medical deduction or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try preparing a return for someone who's a private-pay patient in a skilled nursing facilility or Alzheimers unit. In those cases you're usually dealing with $60K/year at a minimum. Even qualifying assisted living will usually start at around $40K/year.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by DonPriebe View Post
      Student medical expenses, including health fees, cannot be used for the educational credits. (Pub 17, page 235)
      Publ. 17 goes on to say "this is true even if the fees must be paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance".

Comment

phsseouts raised way up

Originally posted by AuditorTurnedGood View Post
        I would imagine that AGI-ing out of the education credits (Either at 116K for MFJ or 58K for single, using 2008 phaseouts) would defacto kill the $400 deduction.
        Please note, by the way, that the 2009 phaseouts have been raised way up, by the "American Opportunity" (Education) Tax Credit put into the economic stimulus law, to phaseout from $80K to $90K for single and from $160K to $180K for MFJ.
        Last edited by OtisMozzetti; 09-12-2009, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Discussion does NOT involve tax credits...

Originally posted by DonPriebe View Post
          Student medical expenses, including health fees, cannot be used for the educational credits. (Pub 17, page 235)
          Originally posted by OtisMozzetti View Post
          Publ. 17 goes on to say "this is true even if the fees must be paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance".
          Please note that the original question in my first post was whether the "health services fees" could be considered as an allowable Schedule A medical deduction.

(Due to income levels, the client is NOT eligible for any education tax credits based upon tuition costs and required fees, regardless of whatever portion of those required fees would be allowable for the determination of any such tax credits.)

Perhaps I did not state my initial question quite clearly enough??

I do think the answer by Bees Knees is worthy of consideration, although the phrase "health plan" might present an obstacle.

FE

Comment

"The fees paid to a dependent's educational institution generally include a fee for insurance and medical care. The applicable part is deductible as a part of medical expenses." CCH 1040 Express, page 2-7.

Comment

Thansk for the heads up

Originally posted by OtisMozzetti View Post
              Please note, by the way, that the 2009 phaseouts have been raised way up, by the "American Opportunity" (Education) Tax Credit put into the economic stimulus law, to phaseout from $80K to $90K for single and from $160K to $180K for MFJ.
              I saw this over the weekend when I was running a projection for a client. Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

ATG
              "Congress has spoken to this issue through its audible silence."
              Anyone ever notice they beat the daylights out of the definition of a child, but they don't spend much time at all defining "parent"?

Comment

Working...
              X